Chapter 10: Promise

P.O.V. [Name]

I mentally sighed as I looked at the book that Blake was currently holding. At the moment we were in our usual cuddle position with me holding her from behind while she was reading whatever book this was. She seemed to be a bit distracted at the moment, I smiled seeing this and leaned down to kiss her neck. 

She tensed up when I did and I lightly bit her neck, not enough to hurt her of course but just enough to leave behind a mark. She let out a slight moan when I did and I smiled into her neck slightly. "Enjoying yourself?" Blake asked as she continued to read her book. 

"Sorry," I said as I stopped and began to look at her book. "You seemed really distracted so I thought I'd make some mischief," I said with a smirk, I couldn't see her expression but knowing her it was most likely monotone. 

"You know you don't have to stay here, I'm sure there are other ways you could entertain yourself while I read," She said as she turned the page to her book. I nodded hearing this and began to rest my head on her shoulder. 

"Yeah, but I like being here with you more," I admitted as I stared blankly at her book. I didn't mind what she was reading but most of the time the plot was a bit to complicated for me to follow. So I usually didn't read what she did. 

After a few moments of silence passed I thought about the small red ribbon in my pocket. Red . . . a color known to evoke a sense of passion, a color well known for stealing attention from other colors, and the color that's known for being associated with fate, and I was about to do something that would, hopefully change both my and her fate forever.

 I always carried it on me. It had become something of a good luck charm over the years. I sighed as I tried to clear my head of these thoughts. If I thought about it too much then I'd back out of what I was about to do. Just like I did last time. 

"I love you," I said as I turned my attention to the female I was holding. 

"I know, I love you too," Blake said as she looked at the book in front of me. I smiled hearing this and after a few moments of silence she turned her attention from the book she was reading to me. When she did she chuckled slightly and I felt my face heat up. 

"Wh-what's so funny?" I asked as I looked at her. I was hoping I didn't have something on my face or anything else that could make the moment awkward. 

"Nothing, it's just," She began as she looked at me. "You look really cute with that unassertive docile look on your face," Blake said as she looked at me. I once again felt my face heat up hearing this and she turned with a smile to once again begin reading her book. At this point I was too embarrassed to ask. No! It has to be now, if I keep postponing it, then I'll never get it done.

I looked at Blake with a smile. "Blake," I said trying to gain her attention. Lucky for me it seemed like it wasn't that hard since she turned her attention from her book to me. "Will you marry me after we've graduated?" I asked as I looked at the female in front of me. When I asked this her face broke out into a blush. 

She turned her head away clearly embarrassed by what I had just asked. "You shouldn't joke about things like that," She said as she looked at me. Not being discouraged hearing this I took one of her hands and brought her a bit closer to me. As I did she turned to look at me and our eyes met. 

"I'm serious," I began in a gentle voice, "I want to make you as happy as I possibly can from now on," I said as I stared into her eyes. I wanted to convey my feelings to the best of my ability without trying to sound too aggressive. After a few moments of silence she smiled and nodded. 

"Yes I . . . I will!" Blake said as she leaned forward to hug me. I smiled when she did and returned her hug. I could feel the tears beginning to build up in my eyes and while I tried to hold them back I failed. When we separated I saw that she was having the same problem as me and I smiled as I began to gently wipe her tears away. 

I then reached into my pocket and pulled out a small red ribbon. "Can I see your finger for a minute?" I asked as I looked at Blake. She seemed a bit confused hearing this but nodded and gave me her hand. I smiled when she did and began to tie the small ribbon around her finger. 

"This is something of a tradition among my people. Wear this until I save up enough money to buy a ring. This is . . . our promise," I said as I looked at the female in front of me. She nodded hearing this and I felt my face heat up a bit embarrassed. "I know it's not very creative but even so please leave it on," I asked as I looked at the female in front of me. 

Blake looked at the small red ribbon for a moment before she smiled and nodded. "Don't worry I will," She said as she looked at her hand before she reached up to cup my face. "and just so you know, I think it's rather sweet," She said as she leaned forward and kissed my cheek. I smiled hearing this and watched as she turned around and once again began to read her book as we once again returned to our usual cuddle position.