nineteen

Noshiko Yukimura, Kira's mother, showed up at the underground tunnels where Liam and Hayden were

Noshiko Yukimura, Kira's mother, showed up at the underground tunnels where Liam and Hayden were. Noshiko held the sword that trapped Theo underground in her hands.

"Kira entrusted me with her sword while she's with the Skinwalkers," Noshiko said. "And now, I'm trusting you, because I believe she would want me to. Do not mistake this for me agreeing with your decision."

Liam gulped nervously and nodded. "I understand." He gestured toward the same spot Kira trapped Theo. "Kira just stabbed her sword into the ground," he stated, almost like he was asking a question.

"If you want to do this, you'll have to do this yourself," Noshiko said, almost offended that Liam would imply for her to do what her daughter did months ago. She bowed her head respectfully, extending the sword out with her arms.

Liam awkwardly cleared his throat as he took the sword from her hands.

"Once it's done, whatever happens will be your responsibility," Noshiko said as if she knew something horrible would happen.

Liam gripped the sword nervously. He wasn't thinking straight. He wasn't thinking in a smart way. Liam knew there was one way to getting what they needed to stop the Ghost Riders. Even if Hayden didn't agree with him, he had to do it. Liam raised the sword above his head.

"Liam, wait!" Hayden shouted.

But the momentum was too much. Liam didn't stop. The sword punctured into the ground. Even if he could stop, he wasn't sure if he really would have. The ground cracked like an earthquake splitting the earth in half. Liam and Hayden backed away in fright, waiting for Theo to come out. Theo's fist broke through the ground as more cracks appeared. His claws flicked out, his hand holding his body up as he climbed out of the hole he made. Theo flashed his yellow eyes, then saw Liam. The expression on Theo's face was resentful and angry as he rammed into Liam. He roared in Liam's face as he cornered him into the wall.

"Theo, we're not trying to hurt you. We're the ones that brought you back," Hayden said, glancing worriedly at Liam.

Theo took in a deep breath, almost like he was smelling Liam as if he was a wild animal. "Where's my sister?" 

"Your sister's dead," Liam declared. "She was dead a long time ago."

"And you're going to join her very soon." Kim walked through the arch, holding two guns.

Theo sneered at her.

"Kim, don't kill him," Liam pleaded.

Her bright, freezing eyes stared at Liam in regret and disgust. "I can do whatever the fuck I want, but I'll let you have your way this time, Liam, but not without some pain." She shot Theo in the leg with the gun in her right hand, then shot his arm with the gun in her left hand.

Theo growled at her. "I'll fucking kill you. I'll fucking kill all of you!"

Kim sneered back at him, blowing her hair out of her eyes. "Try me, you fucking dick. I'll kill you before you even get to me. I lost a boyfriend, got mercury shoved down my throat, my mom almost died, and I was sent to New York. All of those seem like good reasons to kill you now. I'm starting to regret not aiming for your heart."

"Send him back," Hayden ordered Liam.

"No," Kim answered. "I'll send him there myself." She aimed for his heart until Liam tackled her to the ground.

He landed on top of her, throwing the guns away to Hayden's feet. Kim head-butted Liam and pushed him off of her. Theo was on the ground, groaning in pain.

Liam scrambled to his feet, holding the sword up. "You know what this does? I can send you back by this sword or Kim can kill you. We can do both if you'd like. We need your power to help us, and you can kill whoever you want. But, if you do kill us, you're gonna end up worse off than ever."

Kim snorted as she leaned back on the wall in a sitting position. Theo stared at the sword, his glance going between Liam, Kim, and the sword.

Theo nodded. "There's nothing worse than what I've been through," he rasped out.

"Have you heard about the Ghost Riders?" Liam asked.

Theo narrowed his eyes in confusion, then realization. He knew about the Ghost Riders.