Chapter 26

Jayden 

*

"Hey mom," I said once she finally picked up the phone. "How've you been?"

"Hey son," she said. "I'm great. Just hanging out with your Aunt Max." I rolled my eyes. She's not really my aunt. Just some lady my mother hangs out with. She's loud, ghetto and obnoxious. I don't know why she hangs out with her. 

"Hey Maxine," I said to be polite. "Anyways, mom I've got some news to tell you."

"What is it?"

"There's this girl I've been seeing and I want you to meet her."

"Really?" She sounded excited. "You've got a girlfriend already?! I'm so proud of you Jayden!"

"Thanks mom," I chuckled. "She's not my girlfriend. We've been dating casually for a little while and before we get into that I wanted her to meet the most important woman in my life."

"Awe son. If you're willing to let her meet me this girl must be very special. I'll definitely fly down there soon." 

"Great. I'll talk to her about it first though so you don't come down at a bad time." I glanced out the window and saw Monique pulling into her garage. "Perfect timing! I'm going to go speak to her now and I'll let you know what's the plan."

"Alright!" We hung up from each other and I quickly left to catch her. 

"Monique!" I called out. "Monique!" I frowned when she didn't turn around and went into the house instead. I huffed as I made my way around the fence separating us and up her yard. I wondered if she was still upset from earlier. 

When I called earlier she seemed a little off. At work she stayed locked up in her office for an entire week and rarely left. All communication was done through her assistant. Whenever I asked about her her friend wouldn't tell me anything. It was frustrating to say the least. And then she just disappeared over the weekend and it made me worry. You think being neighbors I have multiple windows of opportunity but I didn't. Even if she left work before I did she got home after me or all the lights were out telling me she was asleep. I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable with me popping up at all hours in the night and figured she just needed some space.

She still seemed to have been in a sour mood earlier and I just figured she was in a rush. I haven't done anything to her at all so I doubt her attitude and sour mood is directed towards me. I stepped foot onto her porch and was ready to ring the doorbell when I heard fast talking and crying. 

"Zy's in jail momma," I heard her say. It took me a moment to realize it was the thug from before. Not surprised in the least. The guy has a very bad temper and it would be better if Monique didn't associate herself with him. "H-He fought J-Jamel and g-got shot and a-arrested."

"Jamel?" I pondered. I believe that's the other guy Monique had been seeing. So both of my competitors are out of the equation. Great! Monique is too good for them anyway. That bit of news perked me up a lot. I figure I've listened enough and went to ring her doorbell.

"He's got herpes momma! Jamel had herpes and I'm scared he may have given it to me too!" I froze in place. "I feel so stupid momma. What if he really gave it to me?"

I took a few steps back. Herpes. Herpes?! How can Monique get herself into that type of situation? The guy is obviously a rolling stone type if he has that. Why would she even want to be with a guy like that? First the thug wannabe and now a player? Are these the type of men she really likes? If so then why date me? What was the point of all this?

I hesitated before turning and leaving. I need time to think. Monique is obviously not the woman I thought she was. No woman with moral, values, and a certain level of sophistication would ever go for those types of guys. Maybe she really is like the rest. Motivation does not make up for lack of common sense. 

That nap was life!!! Back again with another update. Hope you all enjoyed it. For it to be so short it felt like it took forever to write. Tell me what you think.