A New Day, A New Case

I walk into the station, coffee in hand, after spending almost the entire night awake, sitting next to the guilt ridden manifestation of my dead love, I feel like I need at least half the caffeine in the world to keep me awake.

Erin carefully approaches me and greets me with her usual cheerful tone: "Heard you'll be back soon, it's great. So happy to see you up and about."

Oh. And with that small friendly greeting I realize everyone did know about Ash and I.

I swallow hard. Oh boy, just when I thought things were finally starting to sort themselves out, I'm exposed as the dead guy's mistress.

She's still waiting for a reply, so I do my best and put on a smile and mumble: "Ah, it's good to be back. Missed you all."

I didn't though. Not a little.

I did miss my desk and my job and the crappy coffee machine. Basically every inorganic thing in here.

I make my way to my desk, and to my horror she follows me: "Captain assigned you to work with me on one of my cases."

God, please let it be a good one, I can't get my hopes up about getting another murder case anytime soon, but maybe a fatass jewelry robbery, or an arson?

"Oh, okay. So what is it?" I actually sound cheerful, it surprises us both equally.

She smiles widely, clearly happy to see me excited: "It's a B and E."
Oh for God's sake.
Two detectives for a simple burglary?

Captain might let me get back to station, but as a lackey, not a detective.

I exhale deeply: "A Breaking and Entering, huh?"

I feel bad for her concerned expression. She's waiting for me to have a break down or something.

I'm not going to though. I'm living with a ghost and if I'm going to be admitted to an asylum pretty soon, I'll need to keep my job and health insurance: "Let's go solve it then!"

She seems relieved: "Great, I'll bring you the file in a jiff." And turns on her heels.

I imitate her under my breath, annoyed: "I'll bring you the file in a jiff."

We arrive to the big white house in the suburbs after forty minutes of driving. I whistle loudly: "You know if I was a thief, I would rob this place too. Just look how groomed this bushes are. I bet their gardener makes more than we do."

She looks awed too: "And he should too. I couldn't do this if my life depended on it."

Okay, so far, not so bad. Long drive, beautiful house. And one of Erin's best qualities is, she's a damn delight when it comes to working with. She lets me drive and pick the music, doesn't sing along and doesn't make small talk in the car until it's absolutely necessary.

I mean this isn't the dream case I was hoping for, but it sure as hell beats staying at home, watching Jeopardy with my dead boyfriend.

A man approaches and opens the gate for us.
We go in, and I'm baffled to see an small square near the house.
There's a fountain with a white Greek like statue in the middle of it. A half naked woman holding a vase, and water falling from the vase.

The owners must be fucking rich and fucking tasteless. Who puts a Victorian gate, French garden and a Greek fountain in their yard?

This screams new money.

Erin laughs at my angry whispers: "You're just jealous."

I look at her, wide eyed: "I'm sorry, and you aren't?"

She chuckles: "Sure I am, I'm just better at hiding it."

We get out of the car and let follow the man inside.

I whisper in her ear: "Now that's a handy skill. You've gotta teach me that sometime."