Love Is Never Enough

"Is everything okay? " I ask cautiously. "And bear in mind that i accept nothing as a valid answer, you know if you want to be left alone for now."

She studies me for a few seconds and then sighs: "No, I don't actually."

Oh dear God. Can we please just not to that? I'm so not in the mood for this heart to heart thing...

She interrupts my silent pleas: "I'm getting a divorce, apparently. One that i didn't see coming until yesterday."

I'm not sure what to say.

"I'm so sorry."

It's the second time today that I'm expressing my sympathies for something that in no way I care about.

People leave, people die, get over it. If someone is leaving you, do the healthy thing and let them, or shoot them and then blame it on a serial killer, whatever.

Just stop your misery from making other people miserable too.

And as one could easily guess, the entire ride back, she talks about how her wife wants to get a divorce because of how much she works and barely spends time with her.

She parks the car and before getting out clears her throat and hesitantly calls me: "Eva?"

"Yeah?" I answer with my hand on the handle.

"I interviewed Nelly while you were talking to Leo Fitzroy, she doesn't know a thing."

I nod, but stay in the car as i feel there's more coming.

"Maybe it's not my place to say, but i hope you know what you're getting yourself into." Her concerned eyes lock in mine.

I look at her confused for a second and then realize she thinks I'm into Leo Fitzroy.

That wasn't a wrong deduction, He was good looking and i did acted a bit too warm for an interrogator, but it was because of a very different reason.

"I know." I get out off the car and hear her long sigh behind me.

She thinks I'm mad at her. People tend to credit me with feeling much more than i usually do.

Not that I'm an easy going person - i so am not - but i care very little about people in general to care about their thoughts on me.

We spend the rest of the day calling and checking alibis, Caroline was having drinks with her friend Madison in a wine bar, Leo was indeed busy getting laid, and just as nice Richard mentioned, the camera footage was no good.

We had hit a dead end. In a freakin burglary.

I decided to go old-fashion. If technology couldn't help us in this case, i was going to solve it with going back to interrogation.

The footage showed that the burglar was in and out in less than a quarter, whoever he was, he knew exactly when to go, where the safe was, and maybe even the combination.
If it was a normal burglary, and they raided the house, we would suspect that someone had stalked their house and waited for them to leave, but this obviously wasn't the case.
They were not only familiar with the house, but with the people.

And the only way to make a decent suspect list was to talk more to each of them.

I needed to solve this before Erin did, it wasn't her who almost got fired. And God bless her needy unappreciative wife, she was too busy talking to her and convincing her for a second chance, that i had plenty of time to make calls and set up another meeting with the Fitzroys.

But, since Erin was the primary detective on this case, i couldn't go to their residence behind her back, so i asked them to come down to the station, and was hoping that she would go home early tonight, you know to have dinner and hot sex and make it up to his wife.

Which is exactly what happened. Not only I'm a good detective with great deductions, but i would make one hell of a wife. Ashley really missed out.

"Sure i did. You're also a fantastic cold blooded murderer. I bet that comes handy in marriage. Don't you think?"

I was preparing my questions in the interrogation room, and there he was. Sitting in front of me. Wearing his old dark blue and gray plaid shirt with worn out jeans.
He wasn't pissed, he was just...pouting.

"Again?! Where the hell do you keep coming from?" I groan.

"Oh I've been here all day, just decided to come out now." He taps his fingers on the table and leans forward, studying me closely.

"And why is that?" I roll my eyes.

"You know when i say i decided to come out now, i mean you decided to let me out now." His eyes twinkle viciously.

And i believe him. Ashley had lots of flaws, he was an indecisive pushover who sucked at playing guitar.

But he was never vicious.

Never.

This wasn't him, this was all me.