Chapter 17: Ambush

"Guys, I smell something."

I raise my head in surprise. Lila has shifted back to human form, hunched over and tense with her head pointing towards the woods. Her eyes glow purple and her teeth are elongated.

Still in wolf form, I hurry to stand in front of Andrew, sniffing around for threats. I can smell something. It smells like pure rage. Different emotions give off different scents, and this smell is utterly terrifying.

With a growl, Alpha stands in front of us all, protectively hunched and snarling.

Then, the wolves arrive. The four rogues emerge in all of their horrifying glory. Thankfully, there's no blood dripping from their snouts this time, but I can smell the fear coming off the humans anyway. I stand protectively in front of my mate.

The pale gold wolf looks at us with what looks like sadness and guilt, and I know that that one is different than the others. They don't want to fight.

It's as if it's a movie, the way I'm lunged at, knocked to the ground while everyone else is ignored. I snarl and kick my legs at the navy wolf, nailing it in the stomach before biting at its throat. It yelps in pain, and the scent of anger becomes stronger.

I hear a loud bark and feel myself being released. The blonde is staring at the navy wolf in anger. Are they arguing? The beautful blonde wolf barks again, startling the other wolf away to fight along the other two. I can see Andrew out of the corner of my eye. Most people know fight or flight, but there is a third option. You can freeze, and that's exactly what Andrew has done.

I can smell the shock and worry coming off of him as I get up and stare cautiously at the wolf before me. I want to scream and shout at the wolf when its sight lands on Andrew. It can take me and my powers, but I'll die before they get to Andrew. 

Its eyes widen in what seems to be a realization, and it turns back to me. My face is contorted into one of pure hatred, my lip pulled back to reveal the sharp teeth within my maw. I snap at the wolf, growling loudly as I slowly turn to stand in front of my mate.

The golden wolf's ears flatten, and their expression becomes one of sorrow. I feel my anger lessen as the wolf relaxes. It whines low in its throat, pleading for help.

Suddenly, I'm knocked to the ground. I'd assume that the golden one had something to do with it, if it weren't for the shocked expression on its face. I don't feel any pain or tugs, but I know, when I look down, that it is indeed my leg inside the mouth of the navy colored wolf.

I let loose a blood curdling howl as the wolf is knocked from me, tearing at my skin. Andrew flinches back, now pressed against the wall of the house, and I suddenly feel overwhelmingly angry. How dare they frighten him?

With a bark, I summon all of my might, feeling the tug in my gut as I let loose the biggest gust of wind I've ever seen, blowing all four of the wolves away from us and well into the woods. They hit the roots, trees, and ground with sickening cracks, making them yelp before they run off into the forest, leaking blood and anger.

"Adam!"

I wince at the loud sound but relax as Andrew's arms wrap around my head. I collapse to the ground, not being able to support my weight with my wounded leg, and breathe heavily while it starts to heal, stitching itself back together.

"Shit, Adam, baby, are you okay?" 

I laugh a little at that. He's such a dork when he worries.

I shift back into my human form, which speeds up the healing process rather nicely, and curl up against him as he pulls me into his lap. He's so warm.

"I'm okay," I murmur, burrying my nose into his neck lovingly.

His hand cards through my hair before he removes his thin sweatshirt and drapes it over me like a blanket.

"That was too close for comfort," Markus growls out, holding onto a healing wound on his naked shoulder. Paul's jacket is around his waist, censoring anything everyone else doesn't want to see.

"I have news," Alpha anounces, standing proudly in all of his naked glory, which makes me roll my eyes. "I was able to catch the scent of one of the wolves."

We all gasp simultaneously and look towards him, eager for more information. 

He looks at Lila grimly. "It was the same scent that was on you when you came home from the party," he tells her solemnly.

Tears prickle in her eyes, making Andrew's brow furrow in pain for his beloved sister.

"Sarah is a rogue?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, my lovely little nuggets! I hope y'all enjoyed this update! Don't forget to comment and such! I'll see y'all nuggets in the next update! Until then, have an absolutely fantastic and fabulous day! Bai!!! >:3

-IggyScones