Ch 15 - Names

I knew I was brilliant, but I appreciated the universe confirming it.

Jin wouldn't go to a social event if he could help it, and Namjoon didn't like Y/N at all. That left me as the escort to this ridiculous event that Nara had poured herself into for Jimin's sake. She had planned the event, hired caterers, organized an orchestra... Not knowing it wasn't even his damn birthday.

I could overlook a lot of things. Lying to Nara wasn't one of them.

Of course, I had been ordered to keep my mouth shut. We all had. Jin pitched it as a life lesson for Jimin.

"It'll blow up in his face," Jin had said. "We need to let him experience his own consequences. That's one of the biggest lessons you learn as a king - Consequences matter."

I picked some fruit off the dining room table and chewed it while thinking about our conversation. Namjoon agreed easily. He always did. Anything Jin said or did, Namjoon approved of. I couldn't back down that easily. I couldn't agree to letting Jimin treat Nara the way he did.

I had tried to be fair with Jimin. I tried to forget my feelings and step aside. I tried to be a decent human being about all of it. But the more I tried to let go, the more he gave me reason to hold on. He was selfish, inconsiderate, and flirted with anything in heels. Nara was kind, honest, and pure.

He didn't love her. I did.

I knew everything about her - her favorite foods, her greatest fears, her sweetest weaknesses. She was beautiful and sincere. Jimin was a flirt and a coward. He'd never love her. Not like I did.

And I was going to prove that she had feelings for me too. I knew she did. She couldn't have feelings for him.

Even if she did, I could change that.

I just had to spark a little jealousy. It didn't matter which one of them was jealous. Jimin's engagement would have the crack in it I needed. After that, it would eventually crumble.

Why couldn't Nara see that I would treat her better than he ever could?

I would show her.

The question was... what was I going to wear?

"I don't like that smile," a voice said beside me.

I turned towards the voice. Taehyung frowned at me, looking me over with a raised eyebrow and glaring.

"What smile?" I asked.

"It's the same smile you have before doing something stupid. I suggest whatever it is you're planning, you quit while you're ahead."

I chuckled to myself. "You are quite a bossy assistant. You know that?"

His lips formed in a straight line, but his eyebrow stayed up. "I'm simply making a suggestion for your own well being. Jin isn't in the right condition to look after you."

"I'm an adult, Taehyung. I don't need looking after."

This time, he laughed. "An adult? You call pranking your brothers and Y/N something that adults do?"

"We all have our hobbies." I shrugged.

"Sooner or later, the trouble you make will catch up to you. You'll regret it then."

"Why do you always sound like a fortune cookie when you're around me? Just go do your assisting."

"Speaking of my assisting," Taehyung threw back, "I should tell you that Jin is well enough to see visitors now. I suggest you do that."

He bowed and walked away. I shook my head, trying to shake his lecture out of it.

Jimin's party would be successful. I knew it.