Jungkook's Ending

I rested my elbows on the balcony rail, looking up at the stars.

Even if there was a shooting star right now, my wish wouldn't matter.

I had lost.

I never wanted to be a king. I watched my father and Jin rule as kings, constantly tormented by publicity, policy, and safety. Father hid his misery better than Jin, but as we grew older, Jin learned how to fake a peaceful demeanor as well. I knew he was suffering. I knew he didn't sleep. I knew he would have chosen a different path if he could have.

Then I met Nara. I saw the same fake peaceful demeanor I saw in my father and in my brother, and I wanted to save her. The cycling of suffering would never break if someone didn't step in and tear it apart.

I swore I would be the one to do it, but I couldn't.

I looked over my shoulder, watching Y/N dance with Jin. She had come in so easily, breaking down the walls of our traditions as if she was built for it all along. She had no fake appearances - she cried when she wished, she rebelled when it suited her, and she only laughed when she meant it.

I wasn't the one who broke the cycle. She was.

Without trying, she had stepped in and taken my purpose from me. Everything I tried to control had fallen apart. I wanted to hate her for it. But as she danced with Jin, I knew it couldn't.

"You just might be stuck with me as your sister-in-law for a lifetime."

I spent so many days and nights wondering why those words bothered me. Why I hated the idea of her becoming my sister-in-law. Why I was ripped apart when she was kidnapped.

Seeing her dance with Jin... feeling the weight in my chest... I knew why.

But I couldn't say anything now.

I had lost.

The stars were beautiful, anyways. A small reminder that the world was bigger than my intense feelings that couldn't find a home for themselves.

"Planning another prank?" a voice asked next to me.

That voice...

I tried to hide my emotions with a smirk as I turned to Y/N. "I could be."

"Who's the target?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

"I would. It seems like I'm your favorite to torture."

"That's because you are my favorite."

"Am I?" she asked. "Am I your favorite, Jungkook?"

Her small voice made me turn my head again. She stared into me. Hard. I couldn't catch my breath for a moment as she waited for an answer. But how could I say anything? I didn't have the option. I had already made a fool of myself with Nara. I couldn't risk it again.

I looked away, trying not to spill my soul to her. She wanted to know if she was my favorite? Did she want to know my feelings about her? How could I say them now?

I bit hard on my lip, looking back up at the sky. But I couldn't speak.

I looked at her one last time, deciding to leave before I lost control. As I took one step from her, her face fell, her eyes dropping towards the floor. It was like seeing her heart drop.

The further I walked away, the more I couldn't stand the idea of it.

Maybe... just maybe...

I turned back, but she wasn't looking at me. Her shoulders were slumped, her back facing me as she looked up at the stars.

It was my only chance. It was the last thing I could control.

If it ended in hell, so be it. I had nothing left to lose.

I stepped back towards her, putting my hands on her shoulders and gliding them down her soft arms. I leaned in, embracing her.

"Jung--" she started.

But I only leaned closer to her, kissing the nape of her neck. I reached for her fingers, capturing them in my own. She responded, holding my hand in return. I couldn't help but lean my face against her hair, smelling the sweet coconut scent.

I wasn't going to hold back this time.

"Be mine," I whispered in her ear.

She didn't speak.

"I don't care if you were meant for Jin," I continued. "I can't watch you with anyone else, and I won't allow you to be my sister. Not with the way I feel about you. I want to be with you, Y/N."

She broke our hands, turning to face me. "With me? Why?"

I reached up to move her hair behind her ear. "When I thought I lost you, I realized everything I liked about you. I love your strength. I love that you fearlessly put me in my place. You're also kind. And thoughtful. And beautiful."

I stepped in, closing the distance between us.

"I know I messed up a lot," I admitted. "I'm going to make it up to you. I promise you that."

"What about Nara?"

Of course she would ask about that. She had no reason not to. I smiled, Nara's memory bringing me warmth.

But it was time to let go.

"I loved her once," I replied, "but she was never meant to belong to me. But you... I won't accept that you belong to anyone else."

I wrapped my arm around her waist and ran my fingers through her hair.

"Be mine," I begged again.

I pressed my lips against hers. She stepped back, but I brought her back to my arms. I couldn't lose her now. I kissed her lips gently, wanting to show her my true affections. The taste of her made my chest burn. I pulled back and sucked in my breath, hoping the ache would subside.

It didn't.

I would have to kiss her more.

I returned my lips back to hers, kissing her harder than before. This time, she didn't step away. She relaxed in my arms, kissing me as much as I was kissing her.

I pulled back, stopping myself. "I need you, Y/N... Please..."

She put her hands on my shoulders, looking around the balcony, dazed. Then she burst into a smile, looking at me as if I was everything.

"I'm yours, Jungkook." she said. "I'm yours."

That was it? She agreed so easily?

I looked into her eyes, looking for some sign of irony. There wasn't any. She was staring at me the way I had always hoped a woman would. How long had she been looking at me with those eyes?

I held her close, leaning back in to smell her hair. Everything about her smelled so good. Her hair, her skin, her breath. I wanted to absorb all of it. I wanted all of her to be mine. I wanted to protect her. I wanted to stay beside her. I wanted to prove myself to her.

She gave me purpose.

She showed me what purpose looked like - natural, unanticipated, and pure. Something small and simple that made a lasting affect.

She didn't even know what she had done for us.

But I could spend the rest of my life telling her.