Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Raven Garcia's first conversation with Spencer Lyall was brought about in the most cliche way possible; she bumped into her, literally, just outside the English classrooms. The way that interaction played out, however, was most definitely not cliche, at all.

"Watch where you're going!" She spat and Raven's wide brown eyes snapped up to meet her angry blue ones.

She was never one to let people walk all over her, it was as much Spencer's fault as it was her own, but in the face of Spencer Lyall, all she could muster was a weak, "sorry" as she picked up her geography book and scurried away.

There was no heart-stopping moment of eye contact, no immediate romantic connection. Just an outburst of anger and a timid response.

"That girl really doesn't like me." Raven muttered lowly as she dashed across the quad to where her cousin, Corvin, was sat.

Corvin always said she was being silly, but Raven was convinced that Spencer harboured some sort of dislike towards her. If asked, she couldn't explain why, all she knew was that whenever she was around the broody blonde, Raven just got the feeling that her presence somehow angered the other girl.

"Just because it's your birthday." Corvin grinned, holding out a cupcake as she sat opposite him.

"Thanks." She smiled, licking the blue icing.

"Any word from your dad?" He asked cautiously, Raven sighed sadly.

"Not even a text." She said. "Last I heard, they were both in New York doing whatever it is they do."

"I don't think I even want to know how they make money." Corvin muttered dejectedly, his cousin nodded her agreement.

Ever since the toy factory downtown closed a few years ago, their fathers had been really struggling for money. Corvin's father had been forced to sell their house so all four of them lived together in a crappy 2 bedroom apartment. Finding employment was hard, especially for Mexican immigrants.

About a year ago though, the two brothers found jobs, jobs that required secrecy and a lot of travelling. Both Raven and Corvin knew that their dads were probably drug dealers, but the end result was a heated apartment and food on the table, which is more than they had 2 years ago. So they couldn't exactly complain.

"Why's Matthew Lyall coming over here holding your notebook?" Corvin asked his cousin, Raven furrowed her eyebrows.

"Holding my-oh!" Matthew was Spencer's cousin, she realised. She'd probably dropped the book when she collided with her earlier.

"Hey Raven." He smiled. "Spencer said you dropped this earlier."

Raven took the notebook from his outstretched hand, muttering a thank you as she couldn't help but notice his painted nails.