Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"So, where is it that you're from, Raven?" Matthew's dad, Tony, questioned a short while later. Raven's eyes flashed nervously at the sudden attention but she pushed through the social anxiety to give him a polite smile.

"I was born in Mexico, like my dad, but we moved here when I was 4." She paused briefly, swallowing the lump that had formed in her throat at the thought of her parents. "My mom's Greek though, so I guess that makes me half Greek."

"What about Corvin?" Matthew asked curiously after draining the contents of his glass.

"He's half Greek and half Mexican too." The brown haired girl explained carefully, knowing this was where things got a little complicated. "Our dads are brothers and my mom and aunt are best friends. They met in Mexico a couple of moths after my mom and aunt moved there."

Raven found herself reluctant to reveal any more details regarding her family life and was thankfully saved from further questioning when the front door swung open.

"Sorry I'm late." Called a male voice from the hallway. "I got held up at the office."

"Your pasta is on the stove." Julia told him and he mumbled a thank you before walking into the room with his dinner.

"Hey dad." Sadie said chirpily, standing from the table to greet him.

"Have you had a good day, honey?" He questioned as he took his seat at the head of the table.

"Yeah. Me and Matthew went to the mall with Raven after school." She explained before walking past him with her empty bowl. Malcom Lyall's eye's scanned the faces of everyone at the table in interest.

"Ah, Raven." He smiled when he noticed my presence. "You must be the singer? I've heard so much about you."

"I...you have?" The Latina offered blankly causing the kindly looking man to chuckle.

"I sure have." Malcolm said. "You like Frosties don't you?"

Raven smiled brightly. "Yeah. They're my favourite."

The rest of dinner passed with ease, much to Raven's relief. Spencer hadn't so much as glanced her way, and for once she was glad because she was likely to become a stuttering mess under the piercing blue gaze of the blonde haired girl.

Spencer disappeared to her room when she'd finished eating and Sadie left for gymnastics practice leaving Matthew and Raven on the living room couch arguing over what movie to watch.

"So, you're telling me you haven't seen The Greatest Showman?" Raven asked in outrage.

"Says the one who's never watched Titanic." Matthew shot back making Raven roll her eyes.

"Fine, put it on, your whiny voice is annoying me." The small brunette finally gave in, shoving Matthew playfully when he tried to hug her.

"Hey, are you going to that party on Saturday?" Asked the tall boy randomly as the opening credits flashed on the screen.