Chapter 1: Serve Like a King

Please follow my best friend Kxtx16 , she does amazing edits, edits my chapters and I love her which should be reason enough.

Also hazelwalnut who is another friend of mine (I sound 5) she is so SO supportive and I love her a lot.

• • •

Monday's freaking suck.

"Table 43 Anna, hurry up!" I picked up the deserts and balanced them on my right arm.

"Thanks James." I fake smiled at the chef and refrained from telling him that he had a piece of lettuce between his teeth. As I passed the other snakes working at the bar I rolled my eyes and they smiled back accordingly.

This restaurant had been here for half a year now. But it did surprisingly well. Well, not surprisingly as we catered for the "fortunate" people in New York.

The walls were non - existent as they'd been replaced with tinted glass to deter the, common, news reporter. Low light hung from the high ceilings with gave the room floods of light. Probably too much light as the affects of my hangover were becoming too intense to function.

I dodged the tables expertly (for a mildly-intoxicated waitress). Keeping a wide smile on my face as I passed the eyes of wealthy business persons. All still faced with silver spoons permanently shoved up their a**.

I may sound extremely judgemental. But coming from nothing seeing people waste money on nothing angers me. I'm not complaining, I mean, they pay my bills. However, my job doesn't pay enough for my brothers treatment.

I pushed back the (depressing) thoughts of my home life and strutted up to table 43.

"Alright ladies here is your food..." Balancing a tray of deserts on one hand I glanced up and my eyes met with the diners... who were men.

Almost certainly not ladies...

Sh*t.

"Oh my goodness! I'm so so sorry!" My face turned white as my eyes met with one particular man of the two. He looked familiar.

But where? I don't recall ever sharing a drunken kiss with this man, that I was sure. So where would I have seen him?

He had emerald eyes and jet black hair. A slight stubble graced his face at perfect angles that frames his, sharp as a knife, cheekbones. He was a dream... quite literally.

"Well, next time. Just keep your mouth shut, okay principessa?"

And as quickly as the attraction came...

It left.

Really, really quick.

My blood began to boil. I placed the food carefully down before I walked away.

Wait. I'm not taking this crap. Who does this man think he is?

I spun on my heels and saw his mouth open. Before he could even get a word in I started to rant.

"Who do you think you are? Talking to me like that? I'm going to give you a life lesson, hun. Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression you're stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. How can you see with your head shoved so far up your own a**!" His face turned into a hard glare while the person who he was sitting with started to silently snicker.

That should have been enough but Anna DuBelle's stupid brain decided to get one more word in.

"Now I'll leave you to this date with this gorgeous man. Who is probably triple the man you'll ever be!"

I then looked over to the other man who was probably sixteen at the oldest. He was cute though, the kind of boy you can tell gets all the girls with his knowledge and kind heart.

The same can not be said for his a**hole of a friend/brother/father.

I felt stronger than ever. I flipped my auburn hair over my shoulder and turned away. When I got to the kitchen I breathed a sigh of relief and happiness.

"What happened out there?" My view of the stainless steel kitchen got blocked by an eclipse... of frizzy blonde hair and gorgeous, wide, blue eyes.

"Well...therewasthisguyattable43andhejus..."

"English, Anna." I rolled my eyes. "Actually I don't care. I just want you to pay your rent for once."

"It's not my fault I can't afford it. You know Luke's treatment means more to me than paying rent." I saw Katie's face fall. Her lips parted and her eyes moved to the floor, avoiding eye contact with me.

"I know but soon Anna I won't be able to afford the both of us and when that time comes... I can't guarantee a place for you, or Luke."

I knew this was coming and I knew I couldn't depend on Katie's help anymore. She'd been a sister to me growing up. We both made the decision to move to New York from Arizona. We were as tight as an ill-fitting bra. And as sturdy as my eating schedule.

We shared a hug amongst all the madness going on. As always Katie was the only one who could make me feel like home. She was the kindest soul in the world and she has been there with me throughout everything; our emo phase, our fitness phase (although that passed quick) and our current alcoholic phase.

It wasn't ideal however, how else were we supposed to cope with the world... no, the whole universe on our shoulders.

After finishing our shift we decided to go out for a drink, relying on the fact that our friend would be bar tending and we could get free drinks...

I could feel Katie's stare on the back of my neck as we walked down the busy  street.

Later I'd find out she wasn't staring at me...

But someone else was.

• • •