Chapter 4: Leave Like A King

How I imagine Madison. But imagine her how you want. Her hair colour and eyes will constantly change so it doesn't really matter. (It will make sense later on)

Happy reading
- Emm

• • •

"Do I get a dog?" I questioned as Madison's eyes flicked up from her files and stared, emotionlessly, into mine.

"No."

"But why? I mean a cat would also do but I prefer dogs, you know? I mean it's  your call and everyth..."

"Hon, I know this is a lot to take in. It's a lot for me too. But can you please be quiet? I'm trying to be as quick as I can but, it's hard with you talking all the time." Madison flashed a smile at me then looked back in her files: her brow furrowed with confusion.

After coming to my house she told me we needed to be somewhere 'private'.

We were now sat on the bathroom floor.

It's about as private as living with your best friend gets. I mean, we're all breathing down each other's necks ninety-nine percent of the time.

Jenifer left earlier, after I told her the police was coming she practically ran out of my house. Her behaviour shocked me but I quickly pointed the blame at the double espresso she had earlier this morning.

I was incredibly nervous about what was happening. When Madison came in there was no friendliness, no casual conversation, no emotion. It was all business.

I was in danger. I knew it before but after her talk I knew that this was life or death, in every sense of the word. Dio Infernale. The name that haunts my dreams. It originated from Italy but quickly moved to the States for a higher profit. The leader was unknown...

But I had an idea of who it was.

They're said to have unlimited resources and power. Which is why I, and all my friends had to be re-located to avoid us being taken.

Katie was going to live with other friends. Jenifer was going to Austin. And Luke was moving to a secure children's ward. He would be safe well, that's what they told me.

I broke when they said I wouldn't be able to say goodbye. I could never kiss my baby brother goodbye. He could never know what happened to me. I was going on vacation as far as he knew. I could picture him in his hospital bed crushed at the thought of me leaving without him. Promises. I made so many to him. So many that I now cannot fulfill. A holiday, a swimming pool, a normal life! All things he'd never get. Even if he did.

I would never know.

I didn't know where I was going. I knew I was put with another officer who specialises in witness protection. Additionally, I knew I would have no access to internet, tv signals, radio or any other human contact.

It was going to suck.

"Please be aware that I cannot promise you that this is temporary. From... past experiences this mafia doesn't give up easily. We will keep you as long as necessary. You have 3 hours to pack and say goodbye." Madison looked almost... defeated. Her head hung heavily low and she ran her hands through her brown locks. "I'm sorry this is happening to you. I'll be in touch. Stay safe Anna." She stood gracefully upwards from the blue tiled floor and left.