Chapter 13

Hey everyone! It's chapter 13! 

I have to say that normal schedule these days is about every two weeks, maybe three by this point. School is really taking its toll now that we're in AP quarters and I really don't have time to write as much as I would like, and I know I've said that before but instead of trying to push for a week or a week and a half I'm just going to settle for more spaced-out updates. Sorry everybody, but I don't think I'm putting out my best work if I rush for a week.

Anyways...

Here goes nothing!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shit."

Lyise glared at the fusion torch in her hands and glanced at the hole she had just burned through R"sota's shuttle. It was a minor issue, one which could be repaired in but a few minutes. But a few inches to the left and the reactor control panel would have been fried, full of delicate electronics and mechanical systems which Lyise had neither the skill nor the material to repair. 

"Jesus." Jarik muttered from inside the shuttle. "What happened?"  

"Torch flared." Lyise responded, reaching over to a toolbox and pushing aside an assortment of power tools before grasping a near-empty caulk dispenser. 

"Fuck!" Something flared inside the shuttle and a shower of sparks erupted out of the now-repaired shuttle airlock. "Piece of- fuck!" A string of profanity followed, after which a second fusion torch flew out of the airlock and clattered onto the floor, flashing and screeching as a power overload breached what containment the small tool possessed.

Lyise's arms shot up to protect her face as the torch exploded, releasing a wave of superheated gas and vaporizing a small portion of the shuttle and the repair platform it was resting on. 

"Jarik!" Lyise shouted, glancing down at her right arm which had taken the brunt of the blast. The forearm was a melted mess of plastics and metal, sparking violently as the autorepair systems attempted to mend the devastated limb. 

A klaxon exploded throughout the hangar, forcing Lyise to cover her ears as her audio receptors whined to nullify the deafening noise. Atmospheric shielding glistened across the hull, radiating a soft blue light which was just barely noticeable through the red alert lighting which now drowned the entire ship.

"Jarik!" She called out again, her voice lost in the klaxon.

The far bulkhead slammed open and the door shielding dissipated to grant Filion access to the hangar. 

"Computer! Status!" Filion shouted.

"An explosion was detected in the southeast hangar. Containment protocols have been initiated." 

"Cancel!" 

"Understood."

The klaxon cut abruptly mid-cycle. 

"Shit," Filion muttered as he noticed Lyise's smoking arm, cautiously taking a step onto the critically damaged repair platform before breaking into a run.

"I'm alright." Lyise choked out as Filion slid next to her.

"Shut up and don't move." Filion ordered. Her arm was struggling to maintain skin color. It had been nearly 15 years since the bombing- 15 years since Filion had gotten his semi-formal training on how to repair the half of Lyise's body which was no longer organic in case she couldn't do it herself. 

"Seriously. I'm fine." Lyise continued, this time with a more stable voice.

"Bullshit." 

Lyise reached out and grabbed Filion's hand with her own. "We've known each other..." She hesitated as a huge shower of sparks triggered pain receptors up and down her damaged arm. "For a long time," she continued with effort. "Trust me. Please."