<-2-> Chapter 3

Hi!

Wow, its been a while even for me. But I'm back now!

Welcome to chapter 3 of part 2!

Here goes nothing!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Five Years Ago

The Tempest had an entire deck dedicated to a high-capacity computer mainframe. Fourteen processor units lined the walls of an extensive control gantry, buzzing and flashing in a wide spectrum of dull reds and greens. It held data on every single Republic puddlejumper in Carok- data acquired by the Caroki Intelligence Service. Most of it was spotty at best, but Kuznetsov didn't have the time nor the ability to access Republic sources.

Why Carson's personal cruiser had data on Republic capital warships was a question that Kuznetsov didn't have the patience to answer.

One-hundred and twelve. The Republic had 112 puddlejumpers. Of those, 66 were capable of inter-universe travel.

Of those, twenty were in Carok.

Eighteen more than the Prythian Assembly and the Caroki Star Union combined. Century Dawn was one of two Prythian primary puddlejumpers that remained operational. Counting the standard Security Forces, the Republic had such overwhelming naval dominance in Carok that it had come to rival the strength of the UPRN's home fleets.

"Paragon is falling apart."

Kuznetsov glanced at Carson briefly. "Nothing's changed, then."

Carson raised an eyebrow, more than aware that the Grand Admiral was paying him little attention as he sat up in his chair. "If the situation with the Coalition boils over, you'll be recalled."

"No shit."

"With a portion of the Republic's Caroki forces, probably."

Kuznetsov looked up at the El'saas again. "Maybe you should be the Admiral."

"You can not have missed the Coalition's build-up."

"Of course we haven't. But they control the Tole Cluster. They control the resources. We can't keep up."

"So you're agreeing with me."

Sighing, Kuznetsov removed his glasses and set them down on the mainframe. "Yes. I am."

Carson chuckled slightly and relaxed once again. "A Carok without a million Republic warships. Imagine that."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Present Day

The Jewel of the Republic.

It was a name well deserved, Lyctove thought, placing his hands on the frozen guard rails in front of him. Endura was truly beautiful, even now.

Granted, central Allos comprised most of what was visible. A forest of steel, of skyscrapers which touched the outer reaches of the stratosphere and plunged hundreds of meters into Endura's crust. The Allos Space Elevator was faintly visible, shooting into high orbit like a gray beam of light, occasionally blinking as flatcars and gondolas rode the titanium cables.

Even the weather was nice. Sunlight was unusual during the winter- today, however, there wasn't a single cloud to be seen.

Lyctove flinched as the holographic projection abruptly paused. The door to his presidential office slid open.