Dancing with the Devil

Trust me, she knew who she was dancing with the entire time. She just chose to see the good in everyone and everything. I personally don't think she should or could ever change that about herself. It's possible that her energy could even bring the good out of the devil.

A child born from an angel father and demon mother. A harbinger of calamities. Neither the angels or demons wanted you in their realms. You were placed in the Earth Realm and only ever allowed to see your birth parents once a year. On the eve of the new year. A day where everyone of each realm can be together peacefully.

Even without being able to see your parents, you knew you were no human. You were able to see dates and numerals on top of each person. The dates showing their deaths and the numerals showing the sins the person commits. If a person reached a certain amount of numerals, they would be taken by demons. 

You could tell who the angels and demons were. They didn't have dates. They also had different temperatures. Demons were ice cold and angels warm as the sun's rays. You didn't care though. Your parents loved you and wanted to find ways to bring you to their realms, but considering how long they've been trying, it didn't seem possible.

You were in your early twenties, and even though you were considered young, by their standards, you saw enough to know a lot about them. How they maintain such a systematic way of collecting souls to the eve of the new year. They didn't want to associate with one another unless necessary. You've always wanted to ask how your parents met, but there never seemed to be enough time. You wouldn't be able to see them this year. You knew because you received a feather from both of their wings.

You were braiding streamers to hang. The eve of the new year was a special occasion to humans. To pray for good harvest and health. To pray for the departed. Unknown to the humans, it was when the demons and angels gathered as well. You were immune to their charms, when they came to celebrate. A reason why no one remembers their presence. You never spoke of it, growing up in the village. 

"Really F/n. You don't look a day past eighteen." Sarah tells you as she also braids the streamers. A friend of yours in the village. One of the few people you considered close to you. It really did hurt your heart knowing that she would die by the end of next year.

"I wonder why?" you knew why. Demons and angels aged normally until a particular point. After that, they begin to age a lot more slower. After a few years, you would have to leave and go to a new village. It was times like this, you wish that they claimed your soul rather than make you live like a human. 

"I'm so excited for the dancing tonight. I might meet my future husband."

"He might be stout, big bellied man with all sorts of warts on his face." you say jokingly. The dances held tonight required participants to be blindfolded. It was something you didn't understand since there had been several accidents with people tripping on one another. But, people did find their significant others, so maybe it would be successful.

"You don't know that F/n. Speaking of the dance, you should join one. You haven't since forever. Everyone believes you will become a spinster."

"Maybe I want to be."

"Please F/n. Just this once. For me." You look at Sarah. She wouldn't be able to participate in the next year's one since her death would happen the month before. Maybe this once, you would be able to give your friend the happiness of dancing with her. 

"Fine. Since you won't stop being such a nag." The two of you joke around until the night falls and soon the evening festivities are underway. 

A man wearing pure black garments walked through the celebrating crowds. No one's date was today in this village, so there wasn't a reason for him to be here. But why not? It was the eve of the new year and everyone was in a celebratory mood. He couldn't help but smile at their foolishness thinking that some god that didn't exist was helping them.