A Game of Cat & Mouse

"We have two daughters." A woman says apprehensively, as she looks at her two sleeping children in their bassinets. Her husband is pacing back a forth, with worry as he looks at the fortune teller. "You can't tell me my daughters are going to die."

"They won't, but a misfortune will befall upon one of them." the fortune teller tells them. A month earlier, the fortune teller arrived to explain what shall happen, should she give birth to only a daughter or son. If a son, they will live a long happy life. A daughter, she will die before adulthood. The fortune teller explained to them though, that should she bear twins, to inform him. She gave birth to twin daughters.

"Which one?" the father says stopping in his tracks. "F/n or Julia?"

"The one with a mark on the back of her right hand." The parents rush to look at the babies right hands. 

"F/n." The parents say in unison. They turn to the fortune teller.

"There must be a way to protect her from the misfortune." your mother pleads. "We will do anything to protect our child."

"Keep her away from public eye. Only until she is twenty. Once an adulthood, and she should be free of her misfortune. But that is, if only she remains here, never to leave the manor. The less people who know her existence the better." Your parents look at the sleeping child. They were a prominent family. People would visit often and they had to cater to them. People were going to come and celebrate the birth their children. 

"Alright." And so, begins the lonely life you had. Your parents informed you and Julia as soon as you were old enough to understand, that you couldn't leave the manor or talk to those who didn't work there. You were told it was to keep you protected from some misfortune. You were tutored at home and excelled at everything you had been taught. Julia and you had a close relationship as she was your only play mate.

"You are very amazing F/n." Ten year old Julia tells you. "You already know three languages."

"It means nothing Julia if I can't use them." you say in response as the two of you make flower crowns in the garden. No one was to be coming today, so it meant you can spend some time outside. 

"Yes you can. Teach me. Governess Streiza is so strict."

"Probably because you always doze off." 

"I do not." She says with a huff and you let out a small laugh. Since Julia was allowed the freedom to actually leave the manor, she had other things to entertain her, while you had only your studies. As the two of you continue to play, you see your mother running to  the both of you.

"Julia! F/n!" she calls. The two you head towards her and she looks at you guiltily. "The Gascon family is here. I really am sorry you two, but Julia you need to come with me and F/n..." she trails off.

"It is alright mother. I understand. I will wait with Governess Strieza." You go through a secret exit and eventually make it to your room. Julia and your mother go to see the Gascon family. Among them are, Lord Gascon, his wife and their twelve year old son, Garrett. 

"So you must be young Julia." Lord Gascon says smiling at the young girl. "Very beautiful."

"Must get your looks from your mother." Lady Gascon says as well. The families chat and the reason for visit is made apparent. 

"We wish for our son Garrett to perhaps be betrothed to Julia. I mean this will be later on in the future, but we think it will be a good match." Your parents look at each other with a little worry. Families would usually send their children to live temporarily with the family of which they were to be married in. At some point, Julia would have to go, and you would be left alone.