Now I Understand

Luca's dad loved his mom dearly. But did Mom love him? The only time she ever seemed to genuinely smile was when she wasn't with his dad. Even when Luca was with her, she always seemed to force a smile. 

He couldn't understand why she was sad. Dad loved her very much. How could she hate that? It was when he was older did he realized Dad's actions. Dad had begun to grow more distant from him and likewise, Luca also remained distant. He also had stopped talking to mom whenever Dad came home. 

He didn't like how Luca was close to Mom and Luca could see the fear in her eyes whenever she spoke to him. School was starting up again in the fall and Dad couldn't be more pleased. More time away from mom. 

He had started to wonder why Dad was so possessive of Mom. Why did he not let her get a job? He hadn't even seen his maternal family in years after his family moved across the country. Mom never spoke about her friends or family, but it didn't seem like she had a falling out. 

Love was strange. Dad loved mom so much that he treats her like a prisoner. What could Luca do though? The only reason why Dad never hit him was because Mom always intervened. He could remember hearing Dad threaten to kill him. The only reason why he never went through with it was because Mom threatened her own life.

It was one of Dad's rare business trips. He rarely left the house. He only went to work and on occasion, to shop for groceries and household necessities. He hated being far away from Mom. Sometimes Mom acted good to him and Luca didn't make him angry, and the three of them would go out. Dad always held her hand, refusing to let go. It was during this business trip, Luca asked,

"Why didn't you call the police about Dad?" His mother stood up shaking and held him tight.

"Luca don't you ever think of that ever again." she pleads with him. "Dad loves you and he loves me. He won't hurt you so please, don't ever think of calling them." Luca was only in middle school, but he knew Dad's habits, as well as Mom's. Something happened involving the police and it clearly scarred Mom. 

And so, Luca never brought it up again. Now he was in high school. He and Dad had been getting on much better. Those two stopped ignoring each other. The reason being, Luca had a crush on a girl. Dad seemed eager to support him. Mom was worried. She seemed worried that Luca would act exactly like Dad. He never said it aloud, but he wanted to tell her that he would never become like Dad. He couldn't understand why Dad acted the way he did.

The girl was in the same homeroom as him and he just found himself falling. She wasn't mean and her grades were decent. Liked books and playing games. She wasn't the standard beauty but she was beautiful in her own way. These traits mesmerized Luca. She was perfect to him.

It started out with him approaching and soon they started walking down the halls together to go to class. Within three months, the two had become a couple. Luca was a senior and believed that two of them would continue their relationship into college. 

It shocked him when he heard she wanted to go study half way across the country. He thought she wanted to stay with him. He told his parents. Mom looked on sadly and Dad looked him straight in the eye.

"Do you love her?" he asks Luca

"I do." Luca answers with missing a beat.

"Then go after her. Don't let her leave you behind." Luca nods at Dad's advice. This made sense. Perfectly. Dad goes on to tell him other ways to keep the girl he loved close and Luca listens with rapt interest, unaware of his Mom and her resigned face.

Luca had worked hard but he managed to get into the same college as his sweetheart. He went to so much extent to stay with her. And she still loved him. He didn't become like Dad, who kept Mom around him even though she hated it. He felt proud of it. 

College was a lot more difficult. They both were majoring in different fields. Not to mention she made friends. Some were men. Older, more experienced. Did she like those kind of men? Every time they were together, he would ask,

"Do you love me?" her response was always the same.

"With all my heart." until one day, she answered. "Not any more." She wanted to break up. It was their final year in college. Was the five years of them being together worth nothing? He was going to ask her to move in with him. Maybe in a year or two they would get married and have a child. But no. She didn't want to be with a man who was clingy and possessive.

For many nights he would cry in his bed. They were so happy together. The idea of her being with someone else made him mad. Who dares to be her significant other but him? He thinks of Mom and Dad. Luca didn't want to let go of his love. Just like Dad. Would she feel sad like Mom? Perhaps. Even if she was sad, was it worth letting her go to make her happy? No.

Luca begins to laugh. How could he be so blind. Dad was merely protecting his love. Whatever the situation was between his parents, it was clear to him Dad had valid reasons in wanting to be with Mom. He gets off his bed and gets ready. He would be gentle when approaching her. He needed to gauge her reactions in order to know how much effort he was going to have to put in.

"Now I understand." he whispers to himself before walking out to go to his 'true love.'

I had seen stories where if the yandere and mc end up together they have a child who does showcase the tendencies. So what if I wrote in the child's perspective? It was interesting in writing this since there really wasn't a reader insert. Maybe I will do a story based on Mom and Dad's relationship and how it even reached to the point where they had Luca? Welp, hope you enjoyed it.