High School Days

High school. A place filled with diverse youth finding their way and place in life. Some know where they are heading, some still figuring it out and others simply not giving a damn. You got the athletes, nerds, outcasts, truants and so forth. Every single group stayed with their own kind.

You noticed those who were doing sports or in the performing arts tended to be the 'popular' kids. Specifically those who were athletes. You didn't understand why. The nice ones you could see why, but the ones who acted like jerks and liked to bully other students, you never could understand. 

The only time students of different groups mingled, was when teachers forced it. Your biology teacher was very big on group projects. Everyone except teachers, for some reason, knew that group projects always ended up with one person doing all the heavy lifting. You wouldn't have minded had you been able to pick partners, but sadly your teacher liked to put people who clearly have nothing in common together as partners.

You look at the projector, that showed who was partnered with who. You inwardly groan when you see your partner. Jason Duan. He was the captain of the wrestling team and you knew his character. He was apparently a loyal to those he liked but he had quite the temper. Everyone goes to their partner and you do the same.

"Hello." you say as you sit next to him. "I'm F/n in case you didn't know."

"Jason." he responds smiling at you. "The project is due next week right?"

"Yes."

"I have a match that I need to prepare for so-"

"If this is your way of saying you won't do anything, I will only do my portion." you say firmly. Your biology teacher, Ms. Zin, knew you well. Your grade in her class was over a hundred percent due to doing every single one of her extra credit assignments. Your grade wouldn't take much of a hit. You couldn't say the same about Jason's. Anyone on a sports team needed to maintain a 3.0 GPA. If it shows that they are falling behind, they are required to take extra classes and prevented from attending games and matches.

"You really are straight laced aren't you?" he says snidely and you only pull out the rubric.

"We have to write up an essay along with a slide show. I am willing to write up the main part of the essay, but I am expecting you to take care of the thesis and conclusion paragraphs. As for slides can you take care of the portions prior to the discovery?" you ask him.

"Sure." The two of you set up the document and slides and discuss the plans for the layout.

"Here is my number if you have any questions." you hand him just as the bell rings and you walk out the door. Jason watches before scoffing and heading to his next class. You didn't seem to be like a liar when you said you would only do your part. He couldn't afford to fail this class. He already had a D- and his counselor had already spoken to him about his grades slipping. If his grade in this class goes down a letter, he will be taken off the team until it was fixed. 

Later that night, you get a text from an unknown number. When you read over it, you knew it was Jason. You didn't bother saving his number onto your contacts since you assumed it only would be this one instance you would need to talk to him. He was asking about how to set up the thesis and you head onto the document that you both shared. You only guided him through it and did minor edits, but never did his portion.

Jason was a little irritated that you weren't budging and not doing anything but guiding. But what could he do? The next day in Bio, Ms. Zin gave class time to work on the project. It was there you were able to notice how hard he was struggling.

"Do you want to be tutored?" you ask him. "You would be having an easier time on the project and class if you go more in depth with it."

"Why would you want to help me?"