Daniel Ricciardo- I'll See You Again

Max whistled as he strolled into the press conference that Thursday. While he wasn't keen on media duty, he would much rather be doing something than sitting in his hotel room.

He rubbed his hands together and wiggled his toes in his rather thin trainers he chided himself for wearing. Why hadn't he put on his warmer boots? No-one would've cared, his feet would be under the table anyway.

He supposed his feet would warm up in the room.

The Dutchman slid into his seat next to Sergey, who had already arrived and was wearing a rather sensible Williams jumper and joggers, making Max look somewhat stupid in his t-shirt and shorts.

Sergey acknowledges this and gives him a rather compromising look. Max huffed. "Shut up Sergey."

The conference was long and boring, and Max spent most of his time staring at the table, only looking up to answer the questions aimed at him.

"Hey Max, have you seen Dan? He's not picking up his phone and no-one's seen him in the paddock today." Christian asked as Max exited the conference room.

Max shook his head. "I'm going back to the hotel anyway, I'll see if he's still there."

He opened the door to his hotel room and quickly exchanged his summer clothes for much more sensible, warmer ones.

Dan's door was closed when Max found himself face-to-face with it. He brought his knuckle up and rapped on the door.

There was no answer.

Frowning, he knocked again.

Still no answer.

"Dan?"

Max bit his lip, normally Dan would be out by now, flashing Max a grin as he went on his way.

He feared the worse and hammered his fist against the wood. "Dan, open the door! It's not funny anymore!"

Still silence greeted him.

He sprinted down to reception, breathlessly asking for the spare room key for room 365, fearing his friend was hurt or unconscious as he wasn't answering-

The receptionist handed him the keycard and Max jumped the stairs two at a time, he needed to get to Dan, he must, he had to.

He pressed the card against the pad and the door let out a small click, signalling its opening.

The door was flung open and Max bundled into the room-

And fell flat on his feet as his feet suddenly stopped under him.

He looked up, meeting Dan's glassy eyes and leaden skin. Bubbled saliva ran down his chin and his face was slightly blue.

A smashed glass bowl lay to Dan's left, and Max could see several cashew nuts sprawled about on the floor. The Dutchman's hand flew to his mouth and his eyes darted back to Dan's face.

He wouldn't-

"Max?"

Christian's voice snapped him out of his trance, and he turned towards the door, Christian's eyes widening as he catches sight of Dan's body.

"What happened?" The Red Bull principle asked.

"I-I don't know- I just came in andIfoundhimlikethisandIthinkhehadanallergicreactionbutwhywouldheeatcashewsheknowshe'sallergic-"

Max cut himself off as realisation him, his world crumbling around him.

"No-" He gasped,

"Max-"

"NO!" He screamed, grabbing Dan's face. "WAKE UP DAN! IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE-"

Arms wrapped around his chest and heaved him up, despite the younger's kicking and screaming, tears streaming down his cheeks as the hotel staff dragged him out of the room and into his own.

Max faceplanted into his pillow, still sobbing.

"Max..."

His head snapped up, glancing around the room.

Huh, he thought he heard-

"Max."

Max almost fell out of his bed, his breathing increasing, heart pounding-

Dan was sitting on his bed, smiling at him.

"But-but you're dead." Max gasped. He laughed bitterly. "I'm going mad."

"You already were." Dan flashed his trademark grin.

"Gone but not forgotten..." Max breathed and Dan leaned in to kiss him.

His lips were just like Max remembered- soft, but not too soft, the tissue slightly rough from the wind and Dan's lip-biting habit.

"I'm so blessed to have had you in my life." Dan smiled through the tears flowing down his face.

"When I had the time to tell you, I never thought I'd live to see the day-" Max's voice broke as he sang gently. Dan shushed him, placing a finger to his lip.

"When the words I should have said would come to haunt me. In my darkest hour, I tell myself I'll see you again." Max wrapped his arms around Dan's neck.

"I feel you walk beside me." He mumbled into the crook of Dan's neck.

"I'll never leave you." Dan murmured.

His form simmered and he was gone.

"Gone but not forgotten-" Max whispered.

He smiled to himself, tears dropping to the floor below him.

"I'll see you again."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really sad now.

Don't get me wrong, I love this song but it's so sad and I really had to get the lyrics in here somehow cuz it just fits you know?

And I just wanted some DanxMax stuff, so have some fluffy ghost!Dan and Max bonding, and singing.

I feel like Dan would be "Gone but not forgotten", cuz no-one could forget Dan.

And the song ends with "No, this is not goodbye" which basically sums up the chapter cuz just because someone's dead doesn't mean it's goodbye.

I'm off to go and cry now cuz holy FUCK it's long and depressing.