ten

"To whom do I owe the biggest apology? No one's been crueler than I've been to myself."

ten; repeating history

Placing a cold rag upon Jacob's head Declan frowns at the sheer amount of heat radiating from the Quileute native.

Groaning Jacob cracks his eyes open as Declan smiles a bit. "How are you feeling Jake?"

"Like I got hit by a semi."

Laughing a bit Declan stands and returns with a water bottle. "Do you want some water?"

"No."

"Jake, you're going to dehydrate."

"No, if I drink it I'll throw up."

"Jake, you need to hydrate."

"Can't you just get me one of those saline bags?"

Declan is silent for a moment. "That's a good idea."

Jacob smirks sloppily. "And to think that you are the son of a doctor."

Declan scoffs laughter escaping him. "Shut up."

Standing he places the bottle of water on the nightstand before exiting the room to see Billy at he kitchen table his head in his hands.

"Are you okay Mr. Black?"

Looking up he smiles weakly. "I'm fine Declan."

"Jake will be okay, he just has to get through this phase of the transition."

"I know but I didn't want this for him. I didn't want to carry the burden of Alpha. He isn't ready."

Declan places a hand on his shoulder.

"He doesn't have to be ready right now, Sam can be chief. He said he will take it until Jake is ready."

"I know, but Jake shouldn't be forced to make that choice. He is the natural born alpha, one way or another he will lead a pack."

Declan sighs taking a seat at the table.

"You didn't want him to be apart of the supernatural world?"

"No, but I knew it was wishful thinking. He was going to turn sooner or later."

"But he knows about vampires and werewolves, he was prepared."

"No one is truly prepared to be thrown into the supernatural element."

There is a moment of silence. "Mr. Black."

"Yes Declan?"

"Is there a way for Jake not to turn?"

"No, but he can choose not to shift and age once he phases."