research?

literally read wikipedia in your spare time lmao. thats basically where you can get all ur research from, also talk to people with first hand experience!

another thing is writing shit from different time periods. that is DIFFICULT. you need to do so much research, before and while you are writing. 

for example: say youre writing a gay romance that takes place in the 1700s.(idk why but imagine you are.) you cant have them be all gay in public or whatever. because in the 1700s, that shit was a big no no. 

dont make your writing from time periods like that be about a bunch of white people in a mansion?? make it realistic, not that many people were royalty lmao. also people back then had terrible hygiene. like. awful. everyone did. i mean it depends but i feel like most people are writing stuff that takes place either in victorian england or 80s/90s america. so like. idk im not an expert but dont forget about daily life for people back then and dont forget about disease cos there was a lot of that. when it comes to the 80s/90s- most of the people writing fanfics taking place there are a bunch of kids who have no clue what they were like. neither do i lol but yknow what. you just gotta do 2 things. be careful with technology, because i dont wanna be reading about some kid in the 80s whipping out their ipad or whatever(unless its about time travel ig?) and 2, research what was going on in the world. what politics would ppl talk about, what trends were happening, etc. 

idk im far from an expert ill probably stick to my own time period when writing. but you never know.