Part 2

"Daddy!" A young girl's voice shrieked as a weight bounced onto the bed, followed by three other weights bouncing on the bed.

John and Cynthia sat up and looked towards the children, all of whom were staring right back at her, "who are you?" The oldest asked.

"Katie, this is your new mother, Cynthia," he told her.

"You're our mummy?" Another one asked.

"Yes, you father and I are married," Cynthia smiled at the little boy, he then launched himself onto her and hugged her.

"I like our new mummy," the same boy smiled up at his dad. "She's pretty."

"I like her too, Jack," he winked. "All right you four, out of here. Unpack your bags and we'll be downstairs in a bit," John told them all. They all scurried out of the room, Katie closing the door behind them.

"Sorry, we didn't..." John said, holding his forehead in pain, probably from the hangover he's bound to have, and then gesturing between the both of them.

"We didn't consummate? John, it's alright, I um... Don't think I'm ready to do that yet. I know we're married and all but I only met you yesterday and I'm not the type of person to fuck someone within days of meeting them," She admitted shyly.

"Oh," John seemed slightly disheartened at that confession but put on a happy façade, "I'll leave you to change then," he went to leave the door but she stopped him.

"I don't actually have any of my clothes with me," she told him, "I'll go and make the kids breakfast or something."

"I'll get someone to bring your stuff around 'ere," he told her, she nodded at him before going down the stairs, she looked around, taking in the detail of the house, she found the kitchen and began looking for some breakfast foods.

She prepared breakfast for the children, John and herself. When John came down in his suit and hat, she couldn't lie to herself, he looked extremely handsome. "I made you breakfast," Cynthia said, "I thought we could have a small family breakfast so I can get to know you and your kids."

"I need to go to work," John said gruffly, placing a toothpick in his mouth.

"Then at least take it with you," Cynthia said, pushing the plate over to him.

John, deciding not to argue with her, picked up the plate and placed the food into a paper bag. "Thank you," he took the toothpick out of his mouth and placed a gentle kiss on her cheek before heading out of the door, "see you later, Cynthia. Bye, kids!" He shouted the last part up the stairs where a chorus of "byes" were heard.

"Breakfast is ready," she then shouted up, multiple little footsteps ran down the stairs and all of them stood, staring up at Cynthia with bright smiles. "Grab your plates, let's go sit at the table."

Cynthia led the children to the table and asked them lots of questions so she can get to know them. She found out the Katie was the eldest, then James, then Jack and then little Helen. Cynthia learnt their dislikes when it came to food, games, etc. She was extremely good at memorising simple things like those.

~:~:~:~:~:~:~

It was a week or so after their marriage when she found out that John's father was in town. "Can I meet him?" Cynthia asked John innocently, not knowing the turmoil between Arthur Sr and the Shelby boys.

John turned stiff before facing his wife, looking deadly serious which scared Cynthia, "you will not go near him, okay? You will not speak about him again," he hissed.

"Okay," she said obediently, frowning at him. He then stormed off without a second glance or a single word to the kids.

"Who wants to go food shopping?" She asked the children, looking away from the spot John was just at.