Part 4

"So, we're going to the races?" Cynthia smiled up at John as they walked back to their house.

"About that," John started, and Cynthia frowned, "I can't allow you to go."

"What?" Cynthia ripped her arm from his and stepped away from her husband.

"It's for your own safety that you don't go," John told her, trying to make her look at him,  but she refused.

"If I'm with you then I'd be protected," She told him, crossing her arms defiantly.

"It's not guaranteed that you'd be safe, Thea. Listen, I can't take you to the races, but I promise I will another day, but just not today. Alright?" He said, watching her carefully.

"Whatever," she mumbled, turning and walking faster to their house. John watched her go and decided not to go home, and to go straight to The Garrison with his brothers and their gang to prepare for the upcoming fight.

As her husband drank or whatever he did, Cynthia sat with Rose on the sofa with Cynthia crying into her best friend's shoulder, "I thought that now I'm part of their family, I'd actually get to do something more than looking after the kids. Don't get me wrong, I do love them as if they were my own, but I thought there'd be more than this."

"They're just really busy, he said he'd take you to the races at some point, that gotta count for something and you said they were starting a war, perhaps it really is best for you to stay here," Rose tried to reason with her.

"I don't want to be a wife who waits until her husband gets home and pretend that she wasn't bored or lonely or scared. This is why I didn't want to get married. The waiting around."

"Cynthia?" John's voice boomed from the front door as it opened, he came in looking around, frantically.

"John?" Cynthia stood up, wiping her eyes to rid the tears.

John came over to try and hug her but she flinched and backed away, John noticed and put his arms down. "Cynthia, I need you to listen to me."

Cynthia lowered her head so she was looking at his feet. John grabbed her chin gently but still with some force, making her look at him. "Thea, I'm being serious, someone had betrayed us and Kimber's men are coming here, I need you, the kids, Rose and David to go somewhere which isn't here," John actually looked... Scared?

"What about mine and David's house?" Rose suggested.

"Is it away from Small Heath?" John question, letting go of his wife's chin.

"Yeah, it's not too far away," Rose said, she was already starting to collect her things, she went up the stairs to collect her two children and John's four, as well as David who was supervising them all.

"Tell me you're not going to die," Cynthia said softly, "I know we fought but I can't bear the thought of you dying."

"I can't make any promises, love. But I'll try my best to stick around for a while longer," he took out the toothpick from his mouth before kissing Cynthia deeply as if it was going to be their last kiss.

John heard the sounds of multiple footsteps coming down the stairs, Cynthia stepped back and allowed John to crouch down to talk to his children. "I want all of you to go with your mum and Mr and Mrs Tinley. You're going to have a sleepover there tonight," John said, trying to sound happy.

"Are you joining us?" Katie asked.

"I'm working, Katie. I don't know when I'll be back. But promise me you will all have fun," John told his kids.

"We will," James smiled, the others all nodding in agreement.

John pulled his kids into a hug before standing up, Cynthia noticed him brush away a small tear from his eye, "I'll see you all later," he said before disappearing out of the door.

"Come on, Cynthy, we better go before the war starts," Rose whispered into her ear, soon all six kids and three adults were rushing to get out of Small Heath and towards the safety of Rose and David's house.

Apparently the war was short-lived, John somehow figured out where Rose's house was and came barging in. "We won," he beamed as he picked up Cynthia and kissed her as they spun around.

"You did? What happened?" Cynthia smiled, John's happiness was contagious.

"Long story short, Tommy shot Kimber but got shot himself, he's alright though. Unfortunately, one of our men, Danny Wizz-Bang got shot," John rushed out.

"It's great you've won, but that's unfortunate that Tommy got shot and Danny Wizz-Bang died. Is everyone else alright?"

"Yeah, we're going to celebrate at the Garrison. Rose, can you look after the kids tonight?" John smiled.

"Of course, especially since they're already settled in," Rose shooed the pair off and then they went to The Garrison, which was in full swing.

Arthur was pouring everyone drinks and at the sight of the couple, he poured them each a drink. The pair of them kept accepting drinks from whomever and soon they were drunkly making out at the bar. "A toast," John repeated until he almost got everyone's attention. "To Shelby Limited!" cheers erupted from the pub as everyone drank at that statement.

"Johnny," Cynthia slurred, kissing his jawline as he drank.

"Yes, Thea?" He slurred back.

"I think I'm starting to love you," she said quietly, almost inaudible, drowned out by the sounds of the pub.

"I think I feel the same," John told her back. Cynthia beamed and leant forward and kissed him roughly causing them both to fall on the ground, John groaned while Cynthia giggled.

Arthur and Polly helped the pair up and sat them down in a booth. The pair stayed there, making out, and drinking together with Arthur. Soon the party died down and soon it was only Polly, John, Arthur and Cynthia all inside the Garrison.

Tommy walked in and all of them, minus Polly, raised their glass to him. He spoke to Polly but at that point, the three at the booth could hardly keep their heads up since they were far too gone, they could, however, hear him clearer once he got closer. "Shelby Brother Limited is now the third-largest legal race track operation in the country," John, Arthur and Cynthia raised their glasses to Tommy who was holding a bottle of champagne.

"Cheers," the three said as they clinked glasses.

"Now only the Sabini's and the Solomons' are bigger than us, boys," he then turned to Polly, "all my family is here to celebrate. To Shelby Brothers Limited!" Tommy popped the cork of the champagne.

"Shelby!" Arthur shouted, raising his glass, sloshing it around.

Cynthia turned to John and noticed he passed out, "Johnny?" She questioned, shaking him lightly. He didn't respond so she just snuggled into him after placing their glasses onto the table.