2: There He Goes

After sitting and awkwardly chatting for half-an-hour, dinner is ready

After sitting and awkwardly chatting for half-an-hour, dinner is ready. Turkey and mash-potatoes — the only good part of this night.

We all fill our plates with warm pieces of turkey and potatoes drenched in gravy and then sit down to eat.

"You've got to tell me what you've been doing at the office..." Sam starts.

Of course, he brings up work. It's something both Alexa and I can't join in on. Alexa just sits there with a dumb smile on her face but I refuse to do the same.

To be honest, Alexa is a very pretty girl. She has tanned skin, deep brown hair and brown eyes. She could do so much better than Sam. Although she isn't the brightest, her smile alone is worth more than him.

"I mean... I just do as he asks... and what I think is best for the company."

"I heard Tuller is bringing you into a corporate position."

My mouth gapes open slightly as I look to Zayn. He hadn't mentioned any of this to me, which is not only strange but just straight up unlike him. Even though we almost never get along, we still tell each other everything.

"Oh... ehem..." Zayn clears his throat, not anticipating the comment.

I don't know how he couldn't.

He swallows whatever is left of the food in his mouth and then says, "... yeah, I guess Tuller likes my work..." He coughs slightly. "It was going to be a surprise but I guess the cat's out of the bag..." he turns to me.

It would have been nice to have celebrated his achievements without these two but I'm still proud of him nonetheless.

"Well, congrats, babe. I'm so proud of you!" I smile.

He looks slightly relieved by my kind words and he pulls me into a side hug while we sit at the table.

"It must be relieving to hear since you lost your job." Sam comments looking to me.

I don't know how he knows I'm unemployed, but I'm offended by the way he brought it up so bluntly.

I peer up at Zayn, giving him a dirty look — clearly he told him. Then, I look back to Sam. When I go to say something, Zayn decides to answer for me.

"We're just fine."

I give him a dirty look, wanting to tell him on my own rather than have him speak for me.

"Such a shame." Sam shakes his head looking down at his food.

As irritated as I am, it makes me a little embarrassed too. I don't like people knowing I was let go. I don't know why. Some people would love to be able to stay home but it's just not who I am. I felt that my job was a big part of who I am and now that I don't have it anymore, I feel like I'm just drifting about. I feel like my only purpose these days is to follow Zayn around aimlessly.

"Yeah... three months..." Zayn says.

That comment alone made everything so much worse.

———————