6: Hot Chocolate and Heated Talks

I waddled into the local coffee shop behind Zayn, struggling to walk in the sweatpants that were about to fall down

I waddled into the local coffee shop behind Zayn, struggling to walk in the sweatpants that were about to fall down. Luckily, they were the kind that grew tight around the ankles so I wasn't tripping over them, but they were still hard to walk in nonetheless.

"Take a seat, I'll get the hot chocolates," Zayn tells me with a small laugh, seeing me struggle to walk in his clothes.

I nod and go to take a seat at one of the two-person tables nearby. I peered out the window onto the gloomy streets. The overcast sky that had taken over this part of the town was depressing, to say the least, but the coffee shop felt warm and inviting. It brought feelings of déjà vu to the holidays. Sitting inside under a blanket while I watched tv and ignored the blizzards outside. Recently, I have neglected to even think about Christmas coming up. It's only a week away and I still haven't got Zayn anything. I've never felt less excited for Christmas in my entire life. It's not that I don't want it to happen, it just doesn't feel like Christmas time.

"One hot chocolate for you, and one for me," Zayn says coming over to the table and setting my hot chocolate down in front of me.

"Thank you." I say, peeling back the tab to let it cool off.

We sit in silence for a few minutes. I feel like we never really have anything to talk about.

I notice Zayn looking at me with a goofy look on his face.

"What?"

"Nothing..." He smiles. "I like my clothes on you."

"Well, they are not clothes for me to walk around in."

^"Maybe not, but it's cute to see you try

^"Maybe not, but it's cute to see you try."

I roll my eyes causing Zayn to scoff and shake his head.

"Why? Why do you roll your eyes whenever I compliment you?" He asks, waiting for an answer.

"I hadn't noticed."

"You make me feel like an idiot every time you do."

"I don't mean to... It's reflex. Calm down."

"Right."

"Don't do that... ugh, I just... hate that."

"What? Me not acting stupid?"

"What are you talking about?"

Is he seriously picking a fight right now? After everything was going so well too.

"I can see your bullshit you know, I'm not blind. You can't take a compliment, I don't get it. Why not?"

"I don't know, Zayn! What do you want me to say?! I don't know why!"

He scoffs once again and looks out the window, avoiding looking at me. He knows I hate it when he does this — ignoring me.

Just leave it be Isabelle, it's not worth it. Don't continue it.

"You know what I find funny though... the fact that you have to pout every time you don't get exactly what you want." I spit.

"Oh cause you're so different."

"When? Literally, when did I do that?"

"You pout every second of every fucking day! Nothing is good enough for you Isa! I can never satisfy you! No matter how hard I try, you're never happy!"

"I'm not..." he's right.

He does try pretty hard to make me happy and most of the time I forget. I guess I do complain a lot. He is trying his best. Still, he picks fights when he doesn't have to.

"I'm sorry if I take some of the things you do for granted but you can't just... be for like two seconds. There always has to be something said and you always have to have the last word!"

"I always let you have the last word!"

"I barely ever have the last word."

"Oh, that's rich." He mumbles.

"See! See! You just did it! You don't even realize when you do it!"

"Oh my god! I tried so hard to make a nice day for us and you're picking me apart and it's barely noon!"

"You picked the fight!"

"You rolled your eyes at me!"

I sigh, folding my arms onto the table and putting my head down.

Why can't we just have one day of peace?

There's silence and I can hear Zayn sigh too. I know he's as sick of this as I am.

"Sorry... this was a stupid idea for the day. Let's just go home and go back to the way things have been." He says getting up from the table.

"No... Zayn..." I get up after him.

He walks out to the car and unlocks it to go inside but I grab his arm before he's able to.

"Please just wait two seconds!" I stop him.

He turns to me with a tired look on his face and I already feel worse.

"I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I really liked today... as much of a mess as it was... I liked the skating..."

"Yeah, but it lasted like twenty minutes if that."

"But it was a nice twenty minutes."

He looks off behind me into the street, clearly still not happy with the way things have been going and just fed up with everything.

"We can still fix today... we can go for dinner or something."

"I kinda just want to go home." He sighs.

I can tell he's just done for today. There comes a point where there's no point in pushing it anymore. Sometimes it's just not worth another fight.

"Okay... yeah... okay." I sigh, disappointed.

With that, we both get into the car and drive home, leaving any hope of today working out behind us. Today was supposed to be such good day but instead, it ended as it always does, in a blowout fight.