12. Just Maybe

(Isabelle's POV)

(Isabelle's POV)

Him coming back just meant that this wasn't an ending like I had thought, it was a beginning. I know he doesn't really want this and his mother probably forced him but at least now he's sort of looking at me when I talk and not on his phone as much.

We go to the café downtown that I had seen on the way to the hotel when we came over. I order a hot chocolate and Zayn gets a coffee.

We sit and Zayn seems preoccupied, so I decide to ask.

"I know it's none of my business but was that a girl on the phone?"

"How could you tell?" He looked down to his coffee.

"Seemed that something was wrong. Usually guys only make the face you're making when they're on the edge of something with their girlfriend."

"That obvious, huh?"

"Little bit, yeah." I chuckle.

"Well, if I'm being honest, coming here to marry another girl isn't exactly making things peachy back with my girlfriend."

"I'd imagine."

"But you know, I agreed to help so... here I am."

"I'm sorry for the trouble. I understand if you don't want to go through with this."

"Ah, I already said I would... besides, I heard you needed the help."

I bit my lip and look down to my hands as I begin to fiddle with my fingers. I wish he didn't have to know that this was a cry for help.

"Yeah, well... I appreciate it."

He nods and then sips his coffee.

The awkwardness is very apparent as we sit quietly, unsure of what to say or what to ask. I haven't been on a date in years, if you even consider this a date.

"What did you get?" He motions towards my drink.

"Hot chocolate!" I smile.

"Odd..."

"Odd, how?"

"Well, it's April and to be honest I think we're a little past hot chocolate season."

"I don't drink coffee."

"Why not?" He cocks a brow at me with a small laugh.

"Don't know. Too bitter for my liking."

"Depends on what you get."

"No... it's all just too bitter for me."

"Huh. Picky... I'll make a note of that." He smirks.

"Picky?! Only the first date and you're already judging me!" I laugh.

His face drops slightly. I think the whole 'date' comment was something I shouldn't have said.

"Sorry... I didn't mean..."

"No, it's fine. It basically is a date, I guess."

"Yeah."

Things never really got back on track to a joking conversation. Just taking about meaningless things. I begin to wonder if it's such a good idea to drag him into this. I mean, it's clear he'd like very much to not marry me and go back to his girlfriend. I understand that. As disappointing as it is that he already has a girlfriend and has zero interest in me, I get it. It's not fair for me to force this on him, even though I did give him a choice. He's right, this is about him pitying me.

That's all this is.
Pity.