Chapter 1 - A Certified Future

A/N - So this is a new novel I've decided to start and I'm really excited about it! The song on the side ironically titled, "Miles Away," by a band called Memphis May Fire came on the other day and I was immediately inspired by this idea. I hope you guys like it!

Chapter 1
Jagger
A Certified Future

“I’m serious guys,” Cooper went on, eyeing all of us carefully. “They want to sign Fight the Fury.”

None of us spoke a word for ages, taking it all in as slowly as possible. Cooper had sat us down in his office downtown about ten minutes ago, saying he had some good news. Of course, us being a mediocre band, we just expected a big show in front of big wig producers. We took what we could get, and a big show was something we had aimed for since the beginning. Big shows meant exposure to the bosses who could take us to the top.

What we hadn’t expected was a record deal.

“So you’re saying,” Carson, our bassist continued cautiously. “That we,” he pointed around the room to all four of us, including himself, “Some punk kids from Everest Hills are getting signed to Sun Room Records?”

Cooper merely nodded, placing two large arms on his desk, enclosing his fingers together. He was the vision of calm, something we always admired in our manager from the beginning.

As a band, we were notorious for freaking out before a show due to excessive nerves. No matter the problem, Cooper was there to solve it with zipped lips and no back talk. He handled each situation with grace and silence.

Cooper’s saved our asses more times than I can count on both hands.

“Well shit,” Wyatt finally piped up. He ran a hand up the gelled and tousled blonde hair, looking just as shell shocked as the rest of us. The usual cocky, self-assured attitude we expected from our guitarist was nowhere to be found today.

I looked over at Matty, the drummer, our shyest mate of the group. He was a ball of nerves with his leg bouncing up and down, the tapping of his Converses hitting the linoleum floor quietly. He covered his eyes with his hands and ran them through his hair over and over.

“Matty calm down,” Wyatt snapped.

Matty and Wyatt had never been known to get along. For some unknown reason, ever since we allowed Matty into the band, Wyatt became eternally bothered with his existence. It was the anxious movements and his mouth moving a mile a minute when he talked that I believe pissed Wyatt off the most. Carson and I had gotten used to Matty’s quirks, but it seemed like Wyatt never could. 

“Calm down?” he squeaked. He cleared his throat loudly before continuing. “You want me to calm down? Coop just said we’re getting signed to one of the biggest labels in music history. And you just want me to calm down?”

“Will the two of you please shut up for five seconds?” Carson warned. He was definitely the father of the group. But without Carson, we probably wouldn’t still be together today at the rate Wyatt and Matty were going.

“Jagger, I haven’t heard a comment from you yet,” Cooper noted. His swooped back black hair didn’t move an inch when he turned his head towards me. I was leaning casually against a wooden bookshelf on the far side of his office, silently taking everything in. I didn’t know if I should jump for joy or freak the hell out.

“I don’t know what to say,” I shrugged.

I truthfully was speechless. To achieve something this big after working so hard, day after day, striving to get to this moment, this place in time…it was something people like me dreamed of every single day. I’ve had this dream to become a hotshot since I was in diapers and now that the moment was suddenly within reach, I couldn’t quite bring myself to take it without asking questions. Moments like these were not taken without questions.