Chapter 4 - Pounding Heads and Rotten Mistakes

Chapter 4
Ella
Pounding Heads and Rotten Mistakes

I woke up in the morning with a massive headache and a thin sheet covering my body. I winced when the light hit my eyes through the window, in a bedroom I clearly had never seen before. I picked myself up and leaned on my elbows, examining my surroundings. The room was painted in a light blue color, pictures of unknown people framed on the walls around me. The eyes from the images seemed to glance at me with disapproving looks for what must have happened last night. The bed was pushed into the right corner of the room, with a television propped up against the wall in front of it.

I picked up the sheet and groaned out loud. I was naked underneath and the guy I had clearly slept with was nowhere to be found. The other side of the bed was wrinkled from where he slept, the floors cleared from any evidence to the mysterious boy. I felt a hole burrow into my stomach at the thought of what I had done last night. I barely remembered a detail from last night, and the one person who could tell me was nowhere to be found.

I took the sheet with me, trying hard not to let the tears fall as I got up off of the bed. I noticed my jean shorts were thrown onto a chair by a computer desk, along with a pile of my underwear, bra and shirt in front of the chair. I picked my underwear up first, searching frantically for my phone. When I pulled it from my back pocket, I immediately called Charlee, wondering where the hell she had disappeared to last night. After two rings, she picked up.

“Where the hell are you?” she screeched through the phone. I held it away from my ear, massaging my temple with a free hand.

“I don’t even know,” I groaned as I slid my bra on next. I felt a few stray tears make their way down my cheeks as I picked up my remaining articles of clothing.

“Ella, I went to your place and you weren’t there! Then I tried calling and you didn’t answer. I thought you died!”

“I’m sorry! I’m just as scared as you are right now. Hold on, let me put on the rest of my clothes,” I breathed, setting the phone down on the unknown computer desk.

“Your clothes?” she yelled, her voice muffled through the speaker set against the desk. After sliding my shorts on and throwing my shirt back on, I picked the phone back up.

“I don’t know what happened Char,” I sighed warily. I looked around the room as I spoke; trying to find some clue as to whose house I was in.

“You slept with someone!” she screeched through the phone.

“Char, lower your voice,” I groaned. “My head is killing me.”

“Oh of all things great and holy. How much did you drink last night?” she scolded.

“I don’t know, okay!” I shouted.

As I skimmed the room, I noticed images of a little boy in a football jersey, another of an older couple, holding hands and smiling brightly at the camera. I saw another with a younger looking couple, wrapped in one another’s arms. The man was smiling down at his beloved other and she was blushing underneath his gaze. I smiled for a moment at the way the person behind the camera captured the pure innocence of the couple. It was when I took a closer look at the man in that picture that I stopped dead in my tracks. Luke Oliver was the one in the picture, with what must have been an ex girlfriend of some sorts. When my eyes moved away from the picture and around the room once more, there was a lacrosse stick propped in front of the bed I was just in moments ago.

“Oh my God. I’m in Luke Oliver’s bedroom!”

“What?” she screeched again. “Did you have sex with Luke last night?”