Chapter 5

I woke up drenched in sweat.

Was the elderly woman really just a dream; a figure of my imagination?

The house was quiet this early in the morning, seeing as the birds were not yet up. The street was quiet, I was only able to hear the distant sound of an engine if I stood still long enough.

The autumn air was crisp, making me feel like I needed a jacket to even get out of bed. If a newcomer ever came to this town, they might just assume that its abanded, cause unless there's an emergency, no one will leave their house until lunch.

I crawled out of bed and walked to the bathroom across from my room. The bathrooms theme was very simple; white. white counters, white tiles, white curtains, white everything! I'm not usually a person to complain about something like this but sometimes there is a need for color especially in an all-white room.

I turned on the water to its highest setting and started to strip my clothes. when the water seemed right, I headed in and scrubbed myself clean. I just stood in the shower after that for a while just thinking "What has my life come to?", 

Flashback:

A 16-year-old girl sits in the room, she packs her suitcase hurriedly, looking back at the door every few seconds. Right as the child is about to throw in her final article of clothing; the sound of banging on her door was emmited. This frightend the young woman, for reasons that will later be known. The young woman looked at the door, its old rotten wood was cracking more with each hit it recived, it looked closer to cracking by the secound. The girls grabbed her suitcase and ran to her window, she sat on the edge and looked back at her door one last time. 'goodbye', she said all while knowing she wouldnt recive a response. with that last look back, she jumped.

As soon as her feet touched the ground, she ran like her life depended on it; because in reality, it did. She ran through the woods for hours, until she heard it in the distance. Cars; that means there's a town near her. Now believe me when I tell you, the young woman ran as fast as she could to the town. She ran and she ran and she ran. She ran through those woods faster than shes ever run before. She ran so fast because, this little town that she was so lucky to even stumble upon meant that she had a second chance at life, she could start over maybe even raise a family.

Flashback over:

I looked down at my hands; they were wrinkled from the water. I turned off the shower and dried myself off. I wrapped a towel around my head as if I was making a little hat. I started walking to the door but stopped when I caught a glance of myself in the mirror. I might have just got out of the shower but I was a mess, my eyes were swollen and red, the bags under my eyes appeared to be darker and larger than I've ever had. 'Is this really me?'

I walked out of the bathroom and into my room. I grabbed a random shirt from my closet and a pair of skinny jeans, and I started to change.

right as I pulled the shirt over my head, I heard it. the sound of glass shattering...