03; losing a friend

[̲̅G][̲̅R][̲̅A][̲̅V][̲̅I][̲̅T][̲̅Y]  

- CHAPTER THREE -

LOSING A FRIEND

GRAHAM'S FRIEND ON the phone had given them the exact information they needed, the location of the multi-tentacled alien. It was on a rooftop, just sitting there and sparking like it was waiting for something. They all stood in front of it with a piece of equipment in their arms as the blonde woman stood in front of them.

"Hi. Us again." Blondie clamped a crocodile clip attached to a car battery to a fire escape ladder and then she turned to Grace who was stood in front of the thing. "Now!"

Grace jabbed it with an electrical drill, causing sparks to fly everywhere before it flopped onto the ground, seemingly immobile.

"Get in! It actually worked!" Ryan exclaimed, running closer.

"For now..." Penny piped in, pessimistically.

"Of course it worked. I'm not an amateur. Overloaded its socket, stunned it for a bit. Not sure for how long though. Best be quick. And thank you to Kevin the bus driver for location intel." The woman crouched sown beside it and retrieved her sonic from her breast pocket, scanning the creature.

"See? Always ask a bus driver." Graham smiled, a little smug.

The woman was still scanning, "Half organic, half machine. Starts to make sense now. Wait. It's a Gathering Coil. No, dozens of Gathering Coils."

Penny cut into the explanation, "Gathering coils? But that means these tentacle-y things are creatures that gather information."

The blonde grinned proudly at the Anoulian, "Yes, Penelope! They've been lashed together and augmented into one super-creature. But why? What data are they gathering? Unless..."

"So that's an alien species?" Yasmin questioned as the Time Lady stood up.

"Not really. More of a semi-species. Weaponised bio-tech." She replied.

"You said there were two aliens in a battle." Yaz reminded her.

"You're right, I did, but now I think I'm wrong and I'm trying to catch up with what that might mean. If I can access the data it's gathered..." The blonde stuck the screwdriver into the coils and an image was projected. An image of Karl.

"It's Karl from the train." Graham gasped in surprise.

Realisation struck the Time Lord, "Karl's the data. That's what it was gathering on the train."

"But what would the alien want with him?" Graham asked.

"Which one of you shall I kill first?" The alien covered in metal armour announced from behind them, making them all turn around in surprise. Penny subconsciously moved closer to the blonde beside her.