Chapter 5

The spacesuit men were replaced by a young man.

The man was tall and muscular with dark brown hair combed neatly. A friendly smile was painted on his face but his dark eyes showed no kindness.

"Welcome Newt, Luna." The man said with a nod towards each of them, his hands folded behind his back. "I'm sure you're both confused right now but you have nothing to fear." Newt highly doubted that.

"My name is Dr. Opille. I'm apart of a government organization called WICKED. It stands for World In Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department."

"Experiment?" Luna asked.

"Yes. If you'll follow me, I can explain more. It's best we leave the doctors to work."

Newt and Luna didn't have a choice but to follow him since they were being followed by guards. They followed Dr. Opille down a series of dimly lit plain hallways until finally they arrived at a sort of office. Dr. Opille typed out a password on a screen to unlock the door. He waved his arm and stepped aside, signaling for them to enter.

As they did, Newt noticed Luna rubbing her knuckles, reminding him of their dangerous situation.

"Alright, let us begin." the doctor said but then paused as if waiting for a reaction.

Then Dr. Opille began talking again. "Not very long ago, sun flares scorched the earth. It was a disaster no one could predict. Millions were lost. But the survivors had no resources left. The government sent out a disease to control the population. But it mutated into something much, much worse. The virus came to be known as the Flare. Its effect takes place in the brain or the Killzone as we call it. But there were few, very special few, who were immune to the virus. And we believe that if we can experiment on those few children that are immune and study their reactions to problems, death, fear, etc; we can find a cure." He handed them a picture. Luna held it carefully, as if it were a bomb.

On it was pictures of diagrams and names and scattered blurry images of boys and girls.

Then the word "death" began to ring in Newt's head. They were going to stimulate experiments on children to find a cure for a virus they caused. Newt felt anger rise in him. He looked at Luna. She stared at the wall behind Dr. Opille, a grim expression on her face.

She slowly looked at Dr. Opille.

"You are a pathetic fool to think that murder is acceptable when it fixes your mistakes. You are wrong. And your horrible acts will never be counteracted by this so called cure you are yet to find."

In one swift movement the guards grabbed her shoulders and dragged her out the door.