Chapter 2: The Hospital

-Dean POV-

My arms and legs are so heavy.

I can't feel anything.

I can hear my light breathing and a steady beeping sound.

I need to try to open my eyes.

What happened?

My eyes flutter, trying to protect my pupil's from the onslaught on light. I groan, trying to cover my face with my hand, but not finding enough strength.

"Dean?" A small voice says, "Doctor!!"

I wince, the noise to loud for my now sensitive ears. I try harder to open my eyes, letting them adjust to the light for a few seconds before closing them and trying again.

It takes a few seconds to get them open, I squint and look away from the ceiling, where the fluorescent lights hang.

Where am I?

"Dean, oh my God!!" Sam says from beside me, as a short, older man wearing a lab coat walks in.

"Where am I?" I ask, my voice hoarse.

"Dean? I'm Doctor Crowley, you're at the the hospital, do you remember what happened?" The doctor says in a mild Scottish accent,

"I-i..." I say, trying to remember.

...

And then it hit me,

"I tried to kill myself." I say, suddenly overcome with sadness. "No, no... I don't wanna be alive, why?!" I say, starting to sit up,

"Dean, you gotta lay down!" Sam says, pushing down on my shoulder.

"You're lucky to be alive, son." The doctor- crowley, says, picking up a clip broad from the bedside table next to me.

I give him a disbelieving look,

"Now, after you recover we need to talk about what's going to happen." He pauses, flipping a paper on the clipboard. "After something like this... You have a mandatory 72 hour stay at crossroads institution-"

"I'm 18! You can't do that!" I say, angry.

"We're pink slipping you, Dean. You have no choice. Now- after the 72 hours are up the therapist assigned to you will decide if you need to stay longer. It'll take a couple days for you to be well enough to be sent over there. Your father brought you a bag from home and we'll be escorting you to the institute when you're better, understand?"

"No! I'm not going!" I reply, looking over at Sam.

"You have to, Dean." He says back, looking sad. "You...you need to."

I sigh heavily, "I'm fine."

"No you're not. Please just go... For me?" Sam says, putting his hand lightly on my arm.

The look in his eyes makes me pause, he looks like a little kid again, back when mom left. The almost hopeless look planted on his face.

"...alright." I say after a few beats, not looking at the doctor.

"Alright." He repeats, "I'm gonna leave you two alone now... I'll be back with paperwork later,"

I nod, watching him walk out the door.

"Why?" Sam asks, looking at me once the door closes.

"Why what?"

"Don't play stupid, dean! You tried to kill yourself... If you would have died.. I don't know what... I would have done." He replies, looking at me sadly.