Gentle Strength

Perspective: Sunny

All was dark in Sunny's mind when the demon stirred.

She had woken from heavy slumber to find herself all alone on a rock promontory. It was hard and cold under her talons and wings, with fearful, murky darkness pressing in from all around her. It was like living in a sea of darkness, a sea that threatened to drown her.

She sat up, tense, squinting her eyes to see something, anything in this terrifying darkness. Her breath came hard and fast.

Something about this place, even though it was devoid of almost everything, was haunting. Just being there and staring into the infinite blackness was setting her heart pounding fast. She felt chills running across her whole body.

It wasn't just the blackness that was scary, it was also the silence. Not a sound could be heard in this whole world, not even a fly buzzing.

And then, out of nowhere, a pair of bright white eyes snapped into existence.

Sunny let out a loud gasp, and her heartbeat increased in speed tenfold. She stumbled backwards, falling onto her butt.

"Who--who are you?!" she asked the giant eyes.

But all the eyes did was continue to stare, as if they were entering Sunny's very soul.

Then, barely noticeable at first, she began to hear a voice. A terrifying, raspy, low, ghostly voice.

"Sunny... Sunny... Sunny... Sunny... Sunny... Sunny... Sunny... Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny..."

Sunny's heart was gripped in absolute terror. She couldn't move or speak; it was as if her whole nervous system had shut down. Her body solidified, rendering her unable to move as she listened to this horrifying voice repeat her name over and over and over, like it knew her personally.

The voice rose in intensity to the point where it was whispering and screaming all at once, as if a million of these monsters were all chanting her name: "SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY!"

And then the screaming started.

Horrible screams of pain and anguish, like a dragon was being torn in two.

Sunny's heart was in her mouth as a white silhouette, like a beacon against the darkness, suddenly appeared next to her. The silhouette was most definitely another dragon, about her size, and with a similar build. She wielded a deadly spear as if her life depended on it, and she surged forward towards the monstrous white eyes, leaping into the air.

The screaming and the whispering and the chanting of Sunny's name was deafening now, to the point where her heartbeat was pounding in rhythm to the chanting like one of Rust's metronomes.

And then, in the glow of the monster's eyes, she saw two small objects glinting, glinting like tiny diamonds in the darkest cave.

They were eggs; one nearly as dark as the darkness that surrounded them, the other a vibrant yellow-white color. They were perfectly harmless, sitting inside a little nest made from a pile of sand. The sight of the eggs sent a warm, fuzzy feeling through Sunny's body.

And as she saw them, the eggs were slowly overtaken by the darkness, like the fingers of a demon were crawling over them with long, sharp claws. The eggs cracked and fell open, revealing...