CHAPTER 14

This place is already abandoned by our great god.

When Alexia heard that very phrase came out from Valnoire's mouth, she had unconsciously winced, and shiver had run down through her spine.

The spectral being said that he and Breanna was only delaying the inevitable end which were sure to come.

Breanna's home was destined to fall, but why?

Honestly, Alexia couldn't really understand the meaning of Valnoire's words itself. Still, she tried to.

First, it was about the energy crack.

Alexia finally remembered where she had heard those two words before. It was Zefrael. He had said about someone who could see the energy crack in the land, and it turned out that someone was Valnoire.

The spectral being had said that 'The Split' was actually caused by the energy crack in the land. She hadn't had the time to think about those words before, but now, it seemed like an important part of a critical information.

Then, secondly, the great god part. There wasn't any particular belief of a god or goddess within the continent. If Alexia had to pick one as a figure who could act as one, she would pick one thing.

The World Tree, the gigantic tree which had blessed every land and every people in the continent.

The Tree's blessing had been infinite. Past tense, as it was not like that anymore these days. With the weakening of the World Tree's power—caused by the Demon Lord's awakening—the Tree had lost the energy to bless every each place within the continent.

Thus, 'abandoned by our great god' would mean that the depleted power of the Tree was already unable to reach the seaside village of Calize, and Salen Gulf which were located at the very edge of the continent.

If that had been the case—and the problem at the very start—then there was one clear solution to fix things right. It was not delaying the inevitable like Valnoire and Breanna had been doing, but ending the every problem the village had in one strike.

It was nigh time for the Demon Lord to be drop dead!

"—kh!!"

Alexia promptly cringed as she felt the piercing pain. Her back had hit the bumpy coral with a great impact, and left her with a throbbing and painful sensation.

Right in front of her eyes, Zefrael grinned with a smug face as he shoved the hilt of her longsword with a forceful push right above her chest. "Really, Alex, I almost had a heart attack," he said, feigning surprise with both eyes wide open.

The girl was gasping in pain, but he didn't seem like he was going to release her from his lockdown, only the alternative. He pushed the hilt to her body, forcefully pushing her onto the corals, and ultimately robbed all her way to escape.

"Is this another one of my win?"

As the cold steel of her blade was pressed hard near her neck, Alexia started to struggle with her breathing. Her back was hurting so much, but really, she couldn't give up.

She immediately grabbed the sharp-edged corals behind her back and pulled some small portion from the big one. Fortunately, the coral condition was very bad. It broke quite easily, and the girl didn't wait to whack her newfound weapon towards her hateful enemy.

Realizing the incoming sharp projectiles, Zefrael inhaled sharply and backed off in an instant. He released the longsword from his hand and the blade fell, then sank into the ankle-height seawater with a splash.