CHAPTER 16

Her eyelids felt so heavy, but when Alexia saw a moving light on the back of her eyes, she thought that she needed to open her eyes immediately.

"Mmmnn..."

With a soft groan, she forced her eyes open. It still felt like her eyelids were glued to each other and refused to open, but finally, she prevailed.

The blurry scenery of a night sky around the trees welcomed her as she blinked her eyes. Gradually, the blur was cleared and the twinkling stars came out from within the dark sky with thin-layered clouds.

The last of her sleepiness instantly flew away. Feeling confused with an unfamiliar ceiling which wasn't a ceiling at all, Alexia moved to rub her eyes with her hand. That was when her fingers caught the traces of crystallized—things at the corner of her eyes and her cheeks.

Tears? Why—

Unable to follow the confusing situation, Alexia carefully raised her body to sit. A warm and fluffy blanket fell down to her lap, and the cold wind immediately shivered her just awoke skin.

The blanket wasn't hers. It was someone else's, naturally.

Searching for an answer to the questions inside her mind, Alexia swept her eyes to the surroundings. Not far from where she sat, the trickling bonfire had kindled a reddish yellow flame. It seemed to be the moving light she had seen back in her sleep.

There were vestiges of someone—a person or more, she couldn't guess—who had set up the bonfire. Yet, here she was, all alone by herself.

She was unable find the owner of the blanket as well. The comfortable cloth—which had protected her from the cold windy night as she slept on the grassy soil of Gileza Woods' outskirts—had been covered to her body by someone. But, who??

Her question was without answer. Less finding that one person in particular, she didn't see anyone whom she could ask in the first place.

Alexia wouldn't be surprised if it was just Valnoire who had been gone, because he could be in his invisible default mode as he always did. But the other two was gone as well.

What just happened??

For a second there, she only blankly stared the swaying flame. The last time she remember, she was—

Alexia instantly gasped in silence. She was fainted!!

As she remembered the reason she had fainted, Alexia couldn't help to breath a downhearted sigh.

Even now, the tragedy of Mycaea was still dragging her by her feet, and ready to plunge her back into the drowning demise. She thought that she had overcome her pain, but the truth seemed to be different. A brief sight of what her hometown had become was more than enough to shackle her again to the painful past. In the end, she couldn't take it anymore and fainted.

How come she was this weak?

As she had thought, she could only be freed from the shackles of her past if her revenge was fulfilled. She should really hurry it up and kill—

Alexia's train of thought instantly froze as she realized a fatal mistake which was glaring at her in the eye.

Zefrael—the demon lord, the very target of her vengeance, the enemy she always longed to kill—was nowhere around her. He had promised to stay within her sight, but he was gone? How dare he break his own promise!?

Now that she couldn't keep an eye on him, the girl couldn't begin to imagine what vile things he was doing behind her back.

Alexia knew she couldn't waste any more time to nap. It would be unfortunate to left the comfort zone of warmth inside the fluffy blanket, but the situation was too dire to be left alone.