Strange diner

"There's a small town down this way, I think we can stop there and grab a bite to eat." Logan said after a while of silence, ducking under a low-hanging branch and glancing over his shoulder to see if you were still following.

"How long are we gonna have to be on the run for?" You asked, hopping over a log and almost sliding on a patch of moss.

You had been walking for what seemed like hours into the endless forest. It was only now that Logan decided to stop and find a place to rest.

"I dunno, could be a while. I'm not sure how badly those guys want you, but I know they want me. They've been trying to get me ever since I escaped their lab." Logan replied, trotting down a hill and pushing aside the thick undergrowth.

"You came from a lab too?" You asked, surprised by this piece of information. Maybe you weren't the only one after all.

"Well yeah, how else would I have gotten these?" Logan chuckled, unsheathing his claws and then sheathing them. "They replaced my bones with a metal called adamantium. It basically makes me indestructible."

"Really? So if I punched you right now, I'd bang my knuckles on metal?" You said curiously, admiring the fact that his entire skeleton was basically metal.

"Yep, I would advise against it though. Wouldn't want ya to get hurt." Logan chuckled, glancing back at you with a cheeky grin on his face.

"Oh whatever!" You huffed, sticking your tongue out at him.

You walked for a while longer before finally reaching the small town Logan was talking about. There was only a couple building in the entire area, buildings like a diner, a store, the essentials.

You heard Logan pull some money out of his pocket and begin counting it. You jogged up beside him and brushed aside a piece of hair that was in your face. "How much money do you have?" You asked, glancing up at the street that you were slowly approaching.

Logan grumbled something, balling up his fist and keeping a tight grip on the few dollars he had. "About seven dollars and twenty-three cents. Should be enough to grab us breakfast at this diner." He replied, walking a little faster as he rounded the corner. He didn't like being out in the open for too long.

"Alright! I'm starving!" You exclaimed excitedly, following him into the diner.

It was a cute little diner, it had the typical booths and the breakfast bar where you could order your coffee. The only strange thing was that there wasn't anyone else in there.

Logan chose a booth towards the back of the diner, easing back into a seat and crossing his arms across his chest. "Does this seem a little.... off to you? I mean, there's no one here and it's almost 9:00." He whispered to you, glancing around the empty diner.

"I know, but maybe this town's a late sleeper." You whispered back as you saw a waitress appear from the kitchen carrying two menus.

"Hi there, folks! What can I get ya this morning?" The waitress said cheerfully, setting the menus down on the table.

"One black coffee please, and you?" Logan said, glancing at you.

"Oh, one orange juice please!" You said, nodding to the waitress.

"Alrighty, that'll be out soon!" The waitress replied with a smile, brushing her apron off and walking back towards the kitchen.

"She seems nice." You mumbled, propping yourself up on the table and looking at Logan.

"I don't know, something just doesn't feel right. Maybe I'm just too uptight..." Logan murmured, tapping his fingers on the table.

"Here we are!" The waitress said loudly as she approached the table. She set down a steaming mug of coffee in front of Logan and a glass of orange juice in front of you.

"Thank you." Logan said, taking a sip of the coffee. He almost coughed it back up, feeling a strange burning sensation in his throat. "Woah, that's strong!" He joked, coughing a bit after swallowing.

"It's our new house blend that we're trying, What can I get you two to eat?" The waitress said cheerfully, holding up her notepad and pen.

"Hmm, can I just get some pancakes and bacon?" You said, glancing up from your menu at Logan, who was still struggling to clear his throat.

"I'll get the eggs and bacon." Logan replied, rubbing his throat and gently hitting his fist against his chest to try and clear it.

"Sounds good! That'll be out in a bit!" The waitress said, writing the orders down and walking back to the kitchen.

Once the waitress was gone, you looked worriedly at Logan. "Are you okay? You don't sound right."

Logan coughed a couple more times before he finally cleared his throat, breathing normally. "Yeah, I'm fine. That coffee was way too strong, though. Somethin' ain't right about it..." he muttered, pushing the mug away.

"I agree, no coffee should be that strong. Lets just hope the food is alright." You chuckled, staring into Logan's pretty eyes and smiling.