Chapter One

"Ugh, how long is this train ride going to take?" Edward moaned.

"We just left the station a few minutes ago, brother." Alphonse replied. "It's going to be a while."

"Yeah but we have to get there soon if we want to catch up with that brat from Xing."

The Elric brothers were on their way North from Central City in search of Mei Chang and the secrets of alkahestry. After she disappeared from Dr. Knox's house, they were forced to follow a lead that she had been seen going North.

"I just wish the library had some information on alkahestry because then we wouldn't have to chase beansprout girl half way across Amestris."

"Well I think she was nice. Why don't you like her, brother? We helped her escape the sewers."

"It's not like I had much of a choice in the matter. You're the one who let her in your armor. And anyway, she hates me for some reason. I didn't even do anything and she starts going on about me crushing her dreams! She even called me...short."

"Well if you would drink milk..."

"Don't you dare threaten me with that!"

Their bickering continued for a while until Ed finally dozed off. After a time, the train's whistle sounded, announcing the arrival at the station.

"Finally! It's about time... " Ed yawned, stretching his legs and glancing out the window. "Hey, wait a second! This isn't the North!"

Sure enough, the view outside the windows was of flat plains and trees rather than snow capped mountains.

The station master stepped into their compartment. "Because of a scheduling error between the trains, this route is currently in use by other trains from the opposite direction. This train will be making a layover in Whiteridge. There will be various trains going back to Central City, but it will be three days before a train can reach the Northern station."

As the station master went on to explain that train tickets would become valid for both directions, Edward muttered in frustration. "Great. Just what we needed. More delays."

"What are we going to do now?" Al mused. "We either have to wait here for three days or we could take a train back to Central."

"If we go back to Central then we'll just have to take another train back up here. We might as well just stay put for a few days and catch the first train heading North. Come on, I need to grab my luggage." With that the pair exited the train and stepped out onto the station platform. Ed retrieved his suitcase from the luggage car and surveyed the small town they had arrived in.

"Look there's an inn. Maybe we could stay there." Alphonse suggested.

"Oh good. I can also get something to eat. I'm starving!"

"But you ate a huge lunch earlier. Your stomach is a bottomless pit." Ed ignored him.

The pair entered the inn and were greeted with a buzz of laughter and music. Ed moved up to the counter and caught the barmaid's attention.

"Ello lad." She said in a cheery voice. "What can I get you today?"

"We need lodging. Do you have an open room?"

"Of course." She nodded then called over her shoulder, "Finn, we've got guests!"

The innkeeper emerged from the back and faced the brothers. "How long do you need to stay for?" he asked.

"Until the trains are running again." Edward sighed.

"Three nights please" Alphonse clarified.

"Sure, that'll be 1000 cenz. So what brings you here mister, uh...?"

"Edward Elric, and this is my brother Alphonse."

"Hmm, your names sound familiar."

"Yeah I'm a state alchemist." All the background noise stopped. You could hear a pin drop.

"Kid, you have a death wish or something" The innkeeper hissed

"Huh?"

"We want nothing to do with you and your kind. Get out!"

Ed and Al backed away. "We don't want to cause any trouble..." Al started but the door was slammed in their faces.

"What was that for!" Ed exclaimed. "Is every small town we come to going to hate us for being linked to the military?"

"Come on brother. They probably have a legitimate reason to dislike the military."

"But that's not my fault. Great, now we have to find somewhere else to stay."