Chapter Two

The brothers wandered around the small town for awhile but every inn or restaurant they entered quickly shoved them out again until they had exhausted all of their options.

"This is ridiculous!" Edward complained. "Now where are we going to stay?"

"We may have to go back to Central after all." Alphonse suggested.

"We've wasted all our time looking and the trains aren't running this late."

"Hey, who's that." Alphonse pointed at the man striding towards them. He was wearing a military uniform.

"Are you Edward Elric the Fullmetal Alchemist?" He asked in a polite voice looking at Alphonse.

"Yes, that's me." Edward confirmed glaring, while waving his hand in the air.

"Oh, sorry! Good then." The soldier nodded. "Lieutenant Colonel Marchello would like to speak with you."

"Did he say why?" Al asked.

"He really wants to meet you. If you'll come with me, I'll show you to his estate."

Marchello's mansion was huge. The buildings themselves stretched across several acres. The interior was made up of seemingly endless corridors formed by great stone walls, with countless rooms branching off from them. All of this surrounded a large open air cobblestone paved courtyard at the center. It grand manner greatly contrasted with the small wooden buildings and dirt paths found in the rest of the town. Whiteridge was well off but it seemed poor in comparison.

The soldier guided the brothers through the massive estate. They reached a large decorated oak door and were waved inside by servants flanking it's opening. As they entered, a man in military uniform stood to greet them. He was broad-shouldered and clean shaven. A kind but also proud look shone in his blue eyes. His navy military uniform added to a sense of confidence and authority.

"Hello, you must be Edward and Alphonse Elric. Wonderful to finally meet you." The man said cheerfully shaking their hands. "I'm Lieutenant Colonel Marchello, but you can just call me Oliver."

"Uh, yes hello." Edward faltered, surprised by the exuberance of the greeting.

"Mr. Oliver, have we done something wrong?" Al asked worriedly.

"No no, not at all. When I heard that a famous state alchemist was visiting, I wanted to assist. I'm inviting you to stay here during your visit to Whiteridge. I would have met with you sooner but I only just heard of your arrival."

"Oh! Thank you, but we don't mean to intrude-" Alphonse started.

"It's no bother. I feel that it is my duty to assist a fellow member of the military."

"You're not going to start begging and bribing me to put in a good word, are you?" Ed questioned skeptically.

"Brother! Don't be rude." Al reprimanded.

"No no. I am quite content where I am." Marchello said with a cheerful grin "It's just that I'm always willing to open my door to anyone in need. Some of the towns people have even come to stay here before."

"Uh yeah. Well thanks for letting us stay here." Edward said.

"We really appreciate it." Alphonse continued.

"I'll have my subordinates show you to the spare rooms."

After a short walk through the dizzying corridors and to the guest rooms, Edward dumped his luggage by the dresser and happily collapsed into the soft bed.

"Well, this is definitely a step up from the inns we normally stay in." Al noted, taking in the lush furniture and decorations.

Ed however, paid the room no heed and was already curled up under the sheets. "Night Al." He mumbled through a yawn.

"Good night Brother."