Chapter 17: Spies and Lost Loves

John was looking for any traces as to what happened here. I was staying with Clarice trying to comfort her.

"I found whatever traces I could. Looks like they died defending some of the foster kids that were living there." John said entering the living room.

"My portals brought everyone here. This is all my fault." Clarice said.

"No, it's not your fault. Sentinel Services pulled the trigger. You cared about them." John said.

"Sentinel Services takes everything you care about and they destroy it. It's what they do. They even turn those you love against you. They're the monsters. Not us." I said rubbing circles on Clarice's back.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. You know what I said earlier about this not being my fight? I don't know if it was before, but it sure as hell is now." Clarice said determined to bring Sentinel Services down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shatter, John and I were walking through headquarters trying to get all the plans together to move some of the refugees to Gainesville.

"We're going to need to talk to the folks in Gainesville, make sure they're ready for more refugees." John said to Shatter.

"I'm on it." Shatter said walking away. After Shatter left us to contact Gainesville, Reed approached us. "Hey, John, can I have a word? We need to go see my father in Chattanooga. I know it's a risk, but he is our only connection to Trask." He said hoping John would agree.

"Maybe we can finally figure out what they did to Pulse." I said feeling a sense of hope for the first time in a while.

"You think he'll know something?" John asked looking at me.

"Maybe, maybe not. We don't have much choice." Reed said.

"The station in Perry just fell. We're going to pick up survivors now. You prep a car, some supplies. We'll leave as soon as I get back." John promised. John and I left Reed to go upstairs to meet Marcos and Lorna."Clarice is getting the cars ready." Marcos said as he handed John a bag of supplies.

"Clarice?" John asked confused.

"Lorna's not coming, man." Marcos said.

"Is something wrong?" John asked concerned.

"Everything's fine." Marcos said.

"Marcos, a problem between you two affects everyone. You're both leaders at this station." John said concerned with the whole station.

"She's just not coming, okay?" Marcos said defensively.

"All right." John said putting his hands up in surrender.

"Hey, do you want me to hang back with Lorna? To get the full story." I asked John. John looked conflicted.

"I don't know. It's up to you. We might need your help distributing supplies and helping anyone that's injured." John said.

"Alright. I'll talk to Lorna when we get back. She's probably just tired." I said grabbing a bag of supplies and heading to the car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We drove for a while and finally ended up in Perry at a mutant-friendly church. One of our contacts that still works with us, thankfully.

"Grateful you came so quick. Sentinel Services is even coming after us now. So much for sanctuary." The father of the church said.