Chapter 19: Trask Industries and Meeting the Frosts

I was in an interrogation room. Agent Turner was seated across from me.

"So you expect me to believe that you and four accomplices got lost in a power substation connected to a secret research facility?" Agent Turner scoffed.

"Yes. Because that's what I told you. You're a really good listener. I bet you listened to what Sonya told you. We were trying to find the aquarium. That's really hard to find these days." I said sarcastically.

"Do you remember the last time we met like this? It didn't end well for you, so what do you think will happen now? That you'll get released or that one of your friends will come save you? That's not gonna happen where you're going. You won't see daylight, you won't talk to your friends, you'll be the same thing your dead boyfriend was and there's nothing you can do to stop that. We'll turn you against your friends and there's nothing they can do to save you. Have a nice life, Miss. Harper." He said leaving the room leaving me to think about becoming a hound. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We were all in Trask Industries now. In ugly blue jumpsuits with the uncomfortable collars on. I was in a cell on Sonya's left and Clarice was on Sonya's right. Sonya was helpless in the corner while Clarice was pacing in her cell. I opted to stand next to the grated cell wall to talk to them.

"What do you think they did to Lauren and Andy?" Sonya asked quietly.

"I don't know, I just I just hope they're okay." Clarice said.

"They'll be okay. They're strong. Just like us." I said trying to give them hope.

"A long time ago, before Anyone knew I was a mutant, I used to volunteer at this place, a shelter for battered women. They'd been through such Terrible things. Sometimes I'd secretly use my powers on them. Pull their worst memories from their minds. I wish I could make all of us forget this." Sonya said crying.

"You can't think like that. Do you know how scared I was when I was in the mutant detention center? I was shaking so hard that when I had a chance to escape, I almost portaled myself into the middle of a ten-lane freeway. But I got out." Clarice said trying to inspire hope.

"But this feels Impossible." Sonya said breaking.

"It's not. It's not impossible. It's only impossible if you give up. John. He loves you. He's gonna figure something out. We just need to hang on until then. Okay?" Clarice said knowing John would come looking for us.

"He doesn't love me like he loves you. I'm not blind. You two are perfect for each other and everyone can see it. He's not going crazy looking for me. He's going crazy looking for you." Sonya said to me.

"He's looking for all of us. We will get out of here. I promise." I said with so much confidence even I believed it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three guards came to get us from our cells.

"Where are you taking us?" I asked, but they didn't answer. We went to a white control room of sorts and waited until we were called in.

"Let's try this again, shall we? Are you willing to cooperate?" Campbell asked.

"Why don't you just give up, huh? We'll never give you what you want." Andy said from somewhere else.

"I think you will. You just need additional motivation." Campbell said gesturing the guards to bring us in.

"What are you doing? They're not part of this!" Lauren shouted.