~Senior Riddles~

(Vienna. June 15th, 1944)

    We arrived on the outskirts of Little Hangleton, Neville and I both wavering slightly due to the apparition and Albus resuming his twinkling. "It looks like a lovely little village!" He chirps excitedly and I cast my gaze to the village down below. It was much less sinister than the last time I saw it. The snow has melted off the fields and roofs, and brilliant green meadows now filled the space, along with brightly covered shingles that shined in the summer sun. In the distance, the sounds of cattle and sheep could be heard along with the laughter of children who played beyond my line of sight. "Looks much different in the daylight." Neville hummed in agreement with my words as I finally managed to stand upright again. After Neville had arrived, Albus and I both agreed to show him most of my memories from the 1940's and I found myself grateful for it. It was nice to have a second person to be able to talk with that had experienced the same war and things that I had. "Shall we?" Albus gestures to the stark-white Manor house that sits along a hill, just outside of the cozy village. "If we must."
    We begin our journey to Riddle Manor, our voices low when we talked and my apprehension growing further. "What if this is all some sort of trap?" I halt my walking with my question and give both Neville and Albus a concerned gaze. "We won't know until we get there Vienna." Neville said the words over his shoulder as he kept walking, not slowing at all for my panic. I huffed and heard him chuckle as Albus softly linked our arms and continued walking, giving me an encouraging nod in the process. "I'm sure it'll be fine." I grumbled at his attempt to calm me but begrudgingly continued our trek. It wasn't long before we came face to face with the giant mahogany doors of the Manor, the brass door knobs and knockers shining in the sun. Up close and in the daylight, I admired the beautiful home and stunning architecture that I had missed the first time I had been here. Four white marble pillars framed the front of the house, each one maticulously placed to show the tiny village down below who owned them. The windows embedded into the white pristine walls were clear and inside you could see the stark sheen of green velvet curtains that hung within them. The house itself was lined with sweet smelling yellow Tulips and neatly trimmed hedges. All three of us seemed to be in awe of the home and I allowed just a tiny bit of jealousy to fill my veins.
    It was Neville who had snapped to attention again first and the banging of the brass knockers against the door was what broke Albus and I out of our trance. It took only moments for the door to slide open effortlessly and a well groomed young woman answered the door, sporting a black and white maids ensemble. "Can I help you?" Her voice was of a higher pitch, reminding me of Druella Rosier and causing me to flinch before I took a step forward. "My name is Vienna Marcus. I was invited for tea by your employer." She nodded quickly and beckoned the three of us inside the house before closing the door behind us. "The Misters and Missus will be down shortly. I'm to lead you to the tea room. Please follow me." She proceeded down a hall to the right and I sent a silent 'thank you' to the God's for not having to have a conversation with the Riddle's in the same room as where their son and grandson tried to murder them. I finally cast a nervous glance towards Albus and Neville as I began to follow the young maid, keeping a tight grip on the Elder Wand in my pocket. We passed through a bright hallway, filled elegantly with statues and paintings of exotic scenery. A few times Neville and I had to encourage Albus to quit his gawking and continue to follow us. 
    Eventually we entered a beautiful sunroom, framed from floor to ceiling to walls in picture perfect windows overlooking the back gardens. Organized potted plants were dotted throughout the room along the furthest walls, mostly herbs and spices from the heavenly smell. A decently sized mahogany table decorated in the finest lace sat in the middle of the room, surrounded by posh velvet armchairs and sporting a gorgeous porcelain kettle and matching cups. "Please have a seat." The young maid catches our attention again and we all hesitantly slip into the chairs with our mouths hanging open just a bit. I focused my gaze outside to the back gardens, filled to the brim with flowers, fruit trees and marble fountains. "Can you imagine if Riddle would have grown up here? He'd be just as bad as Malfoy." I couldn't help the short laugh that came out of my mouth with Neville's obvious disdain for the Future-Past Malfoy heir. "I think that's the least of our worries right now Nev." Albus let out his own chuckle at my retort but continued to gaze around the sun-soaked room. It wasn't long before the sound of movement could be heard from the hallway we had just came through and I found my back straightening and my senses tingling as I watched the doorway.
    Tom Riddle Snr was the first to appear through the door, his eyes scanning the room before falling upon the three of us and widening slightly at Albus' unusual outfit choice. From behind him came the two other aging Riddle's, grandpa Riddle leading grandma Riddle into the room hesitantly. I had to stifle a chuckle at my own obliviousness to their actual names and judging by my companions faces, they were doing the same. All three of them were dressed in rich clothing, their hair neatly placed and their eyes full of curiosity and nervousness. It was grandma Riddle that broke the tension, giving the three of us a soft smile as her husband pulled out her chair for her. "Thank you for coming on such short notice Miss. Marcus." She sits elegantly in her chair, her back straight and hands folded delicately in front of her. "Please, call me Vienna." I give her my own hesitant smile before gesturing to the table between us and the two others beside me. "Thank you for inviting me to your beautiful home. I hope you don't mind that I brought some companions." Her gaze lands on Albus and Neville, giving them both a welcoming smile before meeting my eyes again. "Of course we don't mind. We didn't expect you to show up all on your own." The apprehension floods my veins again at her words but I force myself to keep the pleasant smile on my face. "I appreciate it. May I introduce Professor Albus Dumbledore and my brother Neville Marcus. Professor Dumbledore teaches at the private school we both attend." Albus gives the three Riddle's a twinkling smile and a graceful nod, while Neville gives them a slightly awkward wave. "It's a pleasure to meet all three of you more formally. I am Alice Riddle. This is my husband Robert and of course our son Tom." I give the two men a small smile as Albus pipes up quite suddenly.
    "It is a pleasure to meet you all, but I must insist why you asked to speak with Vienna. As her Professor and mentor, my duty is to protect any and all students under my care. I can assure you that there is darkness walking this world and I fear for her safety." Tom Snr flinches at Albus' words before clearing his throat nervously and giving his parents a concerned gaze before replying. "We mean Vienna no harm Professor. We simply wanted to...thank her, for saving our lives from my son." A quick burst of anger erupts from within me but before I can say a word Albus is speaking again. "Of course. I'm curious though, as to how you came to remember the incident at all." His head tilted to the side as he assessed the three Muggles in front of us and discreetly he performs multiple spells for any signs of magic underneath the table all of them coming up with nothing. "It was back in February. I believe the 19th. One minute we were living normally and the next it was like waking up from a false dream. I don't know how it happened of course, just that it did." Tom Snr looked befuddled with his musings before turning his gaze onto me again. "I'm guessing you somehow...gave us false images?" He says it with no sort of malice, just pure curiousness and apprehension. "No. I just...erased the memories of that night from your minds." He nods in confused understanding before continuing. "Merope could do some of those things as well. Not as well as you of course, she didn't have one of those sticks, but she could do things." Neville snorts at his words before shifting awkwardly in his chair at the attention he received from the noise. "They are called wands Mr. Riddle. Merope was a witch." Not one of the Riddle's looked surprised at Albus' words, in fact they appeared relieved.
    "I thought it was all a dream..." Tom Snr begins, his face gaining color again and his shoulders relaxing slightly. "Merope had told me but I just couldn't believe it. But now I know she spoke the truth." The anger returns to me and words fall from my mouth before I can stop them. "You abandoned her because she told you what she was?" His eyes widen dramatically along with the others. It's a long minute before Tom Snr gathers his thoughts and answers. "I..never meant to abandon her. She told me what she had done, with the potion. I was so incredibly angry, that I left and came home. I swear to you I went back within a few days, but she was gone."  Confusion takes control of my features and my brain. Beside me Albus' head had tilted even further to the side with the confession and Neville was staring slack jawed at the man. "You...you went back?" A tone of pure disbelief flows with my question and Tom Snr let's out a tired sigh while filling his cup with tea and taking a long sip. "Yes I did. Despite what she was and what she had done, I had grown to actually care for my wife. Not to mention she was carrying my heir or heiress. All of you must think awful of me, but I am a man of duty."
    It took many minutes before I could form a coherent question, all the while I watched the three Riddle's in front of me sip their tea quietly. "You told Tom that you had no son. I heard you. Why would you lie to him?" Alice was the one who answered my question, setting her cup down gently and wiping her mouth daintily. "A man came. I do believe he was from Merope's family. His name was...Morgan? Magpie? Muffin?" She trails off, the wheels turning in her brain as she struggles to remember Merope's brother. "Morfin." Neville answers the question, spitting out the name like it left a bad taste in his mouth. "Ah, yes. Morfin was his name. He came only a few days after our Tom returned again. A disgusting man if I say so myself. He told us that Merope had died during childbirth along with the baby." Her eyes turn sad and her husband finishes off the story, speaking up for the first time since sitting down. "When that boy showed up claiming to be our grandson we couldn't believe it. At first we thought it was Morfin, that man appeared to be mad, but then the boy clearly stated that the damage had already been done. The poor boy was so incredibly angry and hurt that there was nothing we could have done or said to appease him. Even you said it was too late." My mind flashes back to that night all those months ago, remembering distinctly the forlorn faces of the Riddle's as they gazed at my Tom before I wiped their memories. "You're telling me...that if Morfin hadn't come and told you Tom had died...you would have looked for him?" My own confusion etches into my question and I watch as Tom Snr nods his head. "I would have done anything and everything to find him. I do not care that he's different. He is still my son." Beside me I hear a quite "Legilimens" come from Albus and I watch Tom Snr's eyes glaze over for just a few moments. It wasn't long before they return to normal and I look towards Albus who wears the face of pure shock. "He's telling the truth." The words are whispered, only meant for my ears and my eyes blow wide in their own shock. "I know it is a lot to ask..." Tom Snr catches my attention again and I look upon the now timid looking man. "I would like it very much to be able to speak with my son. He needs to know that I do care for him. We all do." He gestures towards the two beside him before continuing again. "I'm assuming you know Tom. All I ask is that you speak with him. Try to make him understand. He does not belong in an orphanage. He belongs here...with his family." I find myself slumping into my chair, my brain churning at his request and my mouth slightly open. I find myself not being able to reply for quite some time, and if it wasn't for Albus nudging me out of my stupor, I probably could have stared slack jawed at the Riddle's for days. "I'll...speak to him." The three of them let out sighs of relief but I quickly give them the bad news. "Keep in mind he hates all of you. I don't know how he'll take this, but I'll try." They nod their heads and I find myself standing, I thank the Riddle's for my untouched tea and make my way out of the Manor, not even stopping to see if Albus or Neville had followed me. It wasn't until I had reached the apparition point that I felt a tug on my arm and I swing around to face Neville in a cloudy haze. "I think I know that perfect title of your autobiography..." He pulls me into a hug as my face hardens at the mention of the conversation we had this morning. Neville let's go of me and holds me at arm's length, a concerned yet gentle look upon his face before he continues. "It should be called 'Vienna Marcus. The story of a girl with Dragon sized burdens and no chance for proper sleep.'"