~Dark Side~

(Third Person P.O.V. July 21st, 1944. Time: 4:00 a.m.)

    The beginnings of dawn were spreading across the open fields of Little Hangleton, birds were beginning to sing their joyous morning song, as the crickets were finding a place to rest after a night of symphony, and a rooster could be heard crowing in the distance. The sun had just barely risen, the moon still bright in the sky as a figure appeared on the dirt lane with a pop.  A dark cloak is wrapped around them as they seemingly blend into the still lingering darkness around them. The figure looks towards the sky, the hood of the cloak falling back to reveal a beautiful young woman, whose eyes are shifting between a brilliant amethyst and a striking gold, the tips of her white hair is slowly turning into a coal black as she asses the still twinkling stars. She turns her gaze away from the sky towards a Manor house in the distance, the windows still dark as the patrons inside still sleep, but outside a protective aura surrounds the house and glistens as the beginnings of a new day reflect off its surface. She nods to herself as if making a decision before she takes a deep breath and begins to walk down the lane. The cloak that is wrapped around her drags against the ground and catches the dew upon the grass as she walks with a determined stride towards a familiar hidden path. She waves her hand, causing the hedges to bend and sway at her will as she climbs through and returning to their normal positions when she gets to the other side. Her flickering eyes land on the old shack and it's deteriorating exterior. She takes another deep breath before walking up to the door, a common grass snake nailed to the front door swings as she opens it and steps inside the nearly dark shack.
    Morfin Gaunt sits upon his old, worn chair in front of the nearly dying fire. He casts a glance towards the young woman, his eyebrow rising up his mud covered forehead as she sweeps into the room and closes the door. He doesn't rise from his chair but he does clench the poison-dipped knife tighter in his hand. "Why'd ya come back? You ain't welcome here." The young woman doesn't answer him, instead, she waves her hand again, transfiguring a piece of paper on the floor into a wooden stool and cautiously sits. Her eyes assess the filthy man in front of her, taking in his clotted hair and dirty face, still caked with the drying blood from nearly two days before. "What do ya want?" He grumbles the words at her, gripping the knife tighter and sitting up straighter in his chair. "Tell me Morfin -" she begins, her head tilting to the side curiously as she speaks, " - you aligned yourself with Gellert Grindelwald, but will you be transferring your allegiance to Edgar Longbottom as well?" He gives the young woman a smile, showing her his black decaying teeth in the process and causing her to flinch slightly. "He will give me wha' I want." The young woman's hands resting in her lap clench into her palms, surely leaving crescent-shaped indents into the skin. "What about your nephew Morfin?" He scoffs at her question, a plume of dust billowing from his mouth before he answers. "He ain't no nephew of mine." The woman sighs deeply before her eyes glow the mesmerizing gold, the defining crack of bones and cartilage breaking echoes around the room. She stands, casting another look at Morfin and swallowing heavily before spinning around and exiting the shack, her black cloak billowing behind her. She comes to a halt just a few paces outside of the shack as she recognizes a figure standing in front of her, his jaw set and his eyes full of disapproval. 
    "You're treading down a dangerous and dark path Vienna." His voice carries across the space between them along with a hint of pity that aligns with the words. "I did what I had to do Sieffre."  She nearly spits his name, taking a few steps forward towards the man before she stops again. "You did not have to. Tom is protected at Riddle Manor, I saw the ward with my own eyes being set by Albus Dumbledore himself." Vienna scoffs, folding her hands across her chest before she answers him. "With a blood ward. Tom is Morfin's nephew, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that one word from Edgar and Morfin would have been able to get through them."  Sieffre shakes his head slowly, his bright blue eyes growing sad as he looks at the young woman before him. "Don't try to justify this Vienna. I know that this is eating you up inside, there could have been another way." A flash of anger fills her veins before it's replaced by the lingering feeling of regret. "There was no other way." A spark of recognition flashes across his face and his eyes turned pleading. "There is always another way Vienna. I understand that you want to protect him, but being this reckless -" He doesn't get to finish his sentence, Vienna's eyes flash gold and he's thrown across the space, rolling on the impact he quickly stands to his feet again, his own eyes the same gold as hers. "Do not speak to me about being reckless! You of all people should know the lengths I have gone to secure the future!" Vienna's eyes had returned to their normal violet, tears began to fill them as she continues yelling at the man across from her. "I was born to protect him! I was born to change him and show him the light!" She stops her yelling, sucking in a shaky breath as the tears fall from her eyes freely. "How can you show him the light if you get sucked into the darkness?" Sieffre's words are soft, his eyes full of his own sadness as he asks the question to the now trembling young woman. "I HAD TO! Don't you see? We're about to be in the middle of a war! I need to protect the people I care for as much as I can now, no matter the cost." Sieffre shakes his head again at her words before taking a few steps away from her. "Think what you want Vienna. I just hope you realize that there are other ways to protect them, before it's too late." Vienna seems to straighten up at his words, her eyes narrowing at the man as she takes in a steadying breath of air. "Speaking from experience are you Merlin?" His eyes fall from her, looking towards the ground before looking back up again. "Yes. You cannot save him if you cannot save yourself first." Vienna watches him as he gives her one last warning look before turning around and disappearing with a pop.
    She stands there for a few moments, her body trembling and eyes wide. Millions of different questions filter through her head before she shakes it, clearing away the thoughts as she casts a gaze over her shoulder at the shack. Vienna had no time to fully acknowledge what she had done, nor could she take it back. Morfin Gaunt was a hindrance, one that could not be allowed to continue living, his very existence threatening the life of the one person she was destined to save, the very same person that currently had possession of her very heart, whether he knew it or not. Most of Tom Riddle's darkness had been subdued, his very soul had been cast into light and Vienna would do anything to make sure it stayed that way. The future depended on her, the people she cared for depended on her, so if she had to become a little dark herself than she would. She would not succumb to the darkness though, she would continue to be a beacon of light, that's why her eyes glowed the brilliant gold again and the shack behind her burst into angry flames that began to eat away at years of abuse and hatred. Vienna straightens her shoulders and walks away from the flaming shack, barely casting it a second glance as tears still fall down her face, leaving the body of Morfin Gaunt to burn behind her.  

*************************

What does everyone think about Vienna's questionable behavior? Do you think it was justified? What about Sieffre/Merlin?