My First Battle

"Students! Get out of the halls, Dr. Marlorel is attacking! Quickly lockdown mode!" Teachers pulled stunners onto dark classes and closed all the doors. Locking them.

I clutched my geometry book tightly to my sweatshirt clad chest gliding swiftly between clouds of fleeing students. They were all blurs darting into classrooms in fear of Dr. Marlorel. He was the most evil, cruel villain in all of the world.

I, however,  was pushing my way to the door. I am Captain Zara the  'newest upcoming hero' of this generation. No one knows it though. In school I'm the quiet, nerdy boy who keeps to himself.

I got to the metal doors of the school and pushed. The sun shone down on my face, covering me with a warm glow. I covered my emerald eyes and pulled my hood over the curly brown hair that ran down my face. The smoke was so thick outside the school that I had to feel my way to a clearing. It was like an entire forest was lit in flames.

I found an old clearing with small patches of vines and short trees. I was all alone. Away from civilian eyes. Throwing my books to the ground and lacing my black sneakers up I took off into the air. Flying north, the way to the city.

Landing on solid concrete as never my favorite, but the Dr. was standing in the center of a street surveying his work. He was chuckling to himself. Buildings were crumbling and a sea of people were running past him. His cape was billowing behind him. "Dr!" I exclaimed confidently. Making his head snap in my direction. His eyes feasted on the sight of me. A crooked smile spread across his face. I was not scared.

His cackling laughter rang out from all directions, "Zara. It's a pleasure to finally meet you boy."

I gulped. The gun in my hip cartridge was suddenly in my hands aiming at Dr. Marlorel. My typically steady hands were shaking and my heartbeat rang in my ears. I held my breath and pulled the trigger. He laughed.

His fingers were holding my bullet. "You really thought-" he took steps towards me "that you could shoot me?!" He pondered to no one in particular. "Nice try."

Dr. M shot fire from his hands singeing the raw flesh on my arm. I fell to the ground with a soft scream. Ugly pink patches appeared. The Dr. gasped and ran towards me. Cupping my burned arm I sobbed, all the stress and anger and pain came out in my tears.

I tugged my knees up to my chest and buried  my head between them. I held my arm as the tears streamed down my face.

I was unaware that Dr. M was coming closer. His face while still cold laced with sorrow and fear. Normally cold and unforgiving he looked angry. Not at me, but at the world.

"Shh Zara. Your doing great. I'm so proud of you-" he knelt down to my level. "It's unfair that the world puts all their hope on you. Your 15. A kid-" he undid his cape and wrapped it around my thin frame. I flinched under his touch, and was violently shaking. "Trying to fight me. Your doing so well."  He rubbed my back supportively. The Dr. didn't stop until my sobs died down. A casual hiccup maybe.

"Your doing beautifully."

I peered up at him terrified. The Dr.'s smile went from evil to one of sympathy. He noticed the news camera's around and ripped the cape off my back. I made the mistake of letting a surprised squeak escape. The Dr yanked me to my feet and put a black bag over my face. He grasped my arms and I flinched. I felt the rush of cool wind, we were flying.

"Where are we going?" I whispered.

"To my home. You lost the battle."

Word Count: 659