D-dad

"I want to adopt you, Ollie. Would that be OK? I know I am not you family, but you could live here. With me. You would have a room and- and a loving father who will watch after you no matter what. And all the food you could eat..."

The Dr Stumbled over his words. My head was ringing in my ears. Adopt me? I couldn't find an answer. My emotions were so mixed up. Fear, doubt, joy, love. I needed this. A new home.

Before the Dr could start another tangent I tackled him into a hug. My thin arms wrapping around his waist. Because he was so much taller than me, my head was resting on his shoulder.

"Y-you would d-d-d-do that for me?" I choked out, not even realizing I was crying until now.

The Dr began to rustle my hair and he pulled me away from his chest. I didn't want to move. I would stay hugging him for ages. My arms hung loosely at my side, occasionally coming to my face to wipe away tears or snot. I looked like such a baby. My face was pointing towards the floor, I didn't want to show that I was weak. If the Dr saw me crying now he would forget the offer. And I would be abandoned again.

"Oliver look at me."

I refused to look up. The Dr-Mr. Clint- lifted my chin to look at him. I tried to force my head down, but he kept his hands on my chin, holding it there. Our eyes met.

"Does that sound ok Ollie? Becoming my son." I nodded sheepishly. He still wanted me, even though I was weak.

Mr. Clint let my chin go and smiled joyfully. I smiled back at him. I had a family.

"Then I have someone I want you to meet." Mr. Clint began walking out of the kitchen. Leaving me to shuffle behind him. We walked down clean hallways. Very little twists and turns. Soon one of the halls let off into a much bigger room.

The room was huge, it was painted dark grey with red tones littered through the room. There was a long desk in the middle, circled in office chairs. In one of the chairs sat a man.

He was about six feet tall. He had many mussels. And I had seen him before. This was the man that beat me up.

"Louis! I have someone I would like for you to meet!" Mr. Clint cheered.

The man and I made eye contact. I stood behind Mr. Clint my arms crossed at the wrists. I was trembling. I felt like I was going to vomit. Mr. Clint turned to face me, placing his hands on my shoulders to steady me.

I poked my head out over his shoulder. Mr. Clint was reassuring me over and over again.

I stepped to the side, "Hello."

The villain growled at me. His attention turned to Mr. Clint.

"What is he doing here? Out of his cage. Filthy hero." The villain pulled a remote control out of his side pocket.

His harsh eyes darted from the metal ring around my neck to the red button. His sharp thin finger smashed the button.

A small pinch was felt in my neck, only for a short time, then the pinch was blanketed in pain. It felt like every fiber in my body was in flames. My knees buckled. I collapsed into rivers of tears. The room was spinning, black dots danced along my sight.

"Mr. Clint. Help." I weakly pleaded. I felt my body being lifted off the ground. Withering in pain, Mr. Clint held me bridal-style in his arms.

I buried my head into his chest, no longer wanting to be seen.

"Put me down." I demanded.

"Why?" Mr. Clint asked, still holding me.

"I deserve this pain. I failed my city."

"No. No son you did not fail anyone." He held me closer.

I chose not to fight Mr. Clint on the matter. I was too weak and the spinning of the room made me dizzy.

It hurt to breath. My eyes were slowly closing. Tears still pooling on my face. And my expression one of agony.

"What did you do to him!" That was the last thing I heard. My ears were ringing, but I was still awake.

Minutes later Mr. Clint was carrying me out of the room. The pain grew stronger, I yelped when the villain screamed after us. I buried myself into his warm embrace. My heart was pounding and my breath was quick.

"Hey. Hey. Calm down, Ollie. It'll all be over soon."  Mr. Clint muttered softly. 

"It hurts."

"I know son. I know." Mr. Clint soothed. 

The burning slowly faded into an uncomfortable ache. I was able to move slowly. I was still sniffling and hiccuping. Mr. Clint laid me down on a white bed. In a new room that I haven't seen before.

"This is your room, Ollie. We can decorate it tomorrow. Right now, I need you to sleep."

I was shocked, I had my own room. Mr. Clint sat down on the bed next to me. He kept telling me that the pain will be all gone when I wake up. I trusted him.

Tomorrow I will wake up and give Mr. Clint the biggest hug. He's been nothing but kind to me. He gave me food. And love.

"Goodnight Ollie." He whispered as my eyes close.

"Goodnight" I yawned "Dad." I agreed.