Talking and a final decision

When I woke up my entire body, toes to chin, was swaddled in a soft cotton blanket. I was laying in a four-post, light oak bed. The room around me was painted a light yellow color. Much like the sand you would see on a beach.

It hurt to move. My back burned and my head was pounding. After being beat up by that villain it even hurt to blink. With a pain laced groan I flipped to my side and faced the west-most wall. In a blue chair in the corner slept the Dr. Even in his sleep his face was concerned. I let out a unintentionally loud whimper when my back hit a pillow on the bed.

The Dr's eyes fluttered open as he glanced me up and down. I flipped back onto my stomach and tried to ignore the look on his face. Worry. The kind of worry a father would have about his son if he fell off his bike.

I squeezed my eyes shut as large arms wrapped around me. I felt all my muscles tense.

"I thought I lost you boy. I thought you were dead. Your lips were blue, and your breath was shallow." The Dr spoke softly. I wanted to speak. I mustered the strength to but then the memories of what happened flooded back into my mind.

My breath quickened. My eyes darted back and forth across the room. The Dr was like the villain. He wanted to beat me up.

"Boy. Calm down." I frantically shook my head. "Zara!" I went limp at the use of my hero name. The Dr stroked my hair and kept his arms wrapped around me. I attempted to math my breath to his. After many minutes of tears and silence, I was calmed.

The Dr stood up off the bed and began walking to the door. He turned towards me, "Let's go eat breakfast."

I gaped at him shocked. "But Dr you j-j-just fed me yesterday."

The Dr laughed, he assumed I was joking. But I was not. At home there were 8 kids, me being the oldest. My mother would always give my younger siblings food before me. I would normally go up to three days without food. But my family would have plenty. Also there was no room for us all. Myself and my brother, William, would have to sleep outside on the front step year round. William ended up dying of frost bite on one of the winter nights we slept in the trees.

The Dr looked at my face and saw no traces of humor. He paled significantly. I rocked my weight back and forth, my cheeks burning with embarrassment. His eyes went to my ribs. He scowled, like his light blue eyes could see through the three-sizes-too-big shirt that was falling off my frame.

"Boy-"

I dipped my head down, "I have a name. It's Olivier."

"Ollie, could you please show me your stomach and back."

I shrunk myself down as small as I could be. I was certain that he would ask, yet I wasn't ready. Tears stung my eyes as I lifted my shirt. They all fell out when the Dr gasped.

I knew that you could see all of my ribs protruding through my stomach. I knew that my collarbones were so visible that you could drink from them. I was aware that my arms were bony and had no muscle. But I was embarrassed. The Dr was horrified with me. I was a monster.

My eyes darted up to meet his gaze. His normally cold eyes were watery and they showed only one emotion. Love.

My knees gave out. I expected to fall onto the cold wooden floor, but a pair of large arms caught me. They held me close and they relieved me. We sat on the floor for a long time, so long that the clock on the wall sounded twice.

"It's time for breakfast Ollie. We eat everyday here."

I smiled weakly and lifted myself onto my shaky feet. The Dr lead me to the kitchen. I pulled out a chair and sat down. He dished out two plates with bacon, eggs, and pancakes. I ate what I could, which was very little.

I was truly shocked I was being fed and had a bed. "A-am I still your prisoner, sir?"

The Dr laughed. "No Ollie." he spoke harshly. "I was thinking about something actually, but we can speak later. I need to ask you something."

The Dr lead me through the house, I saw many rooms. They were huge! So much bigger then my house. He led me through the hallways and into a library. Each wall was covered in bookshelves, each shelf filled with books. I was amazed. The white carpet and white sofa littered the room. Along with a desk in the corner. The entire room was bigger then my house.

He lead me to a sofa in the corner by a large bay window, he handed me a copy of "Moby Dick" I looked shocked at him. I was never taught how to read well.

"Read it to me Oliver." The Dr stated amused. I blushed and turned my attention to the book in my hands. Turn the the first page I thought.

I went through the first chapter. Stumbling over simple words.

"per-performing the part I did, besides cajoling?" I read out loud. Stopping to glance at the Dr. to see his reaction. And feedback if he had any. He nodded and I looked back to the book.

"me into the delusion that it was a choice resulting from my own unbiased freewill and discri-discri" "

"discriminating judgment" he finishes.

I bashfully closed the book and set it on the sofa next to me. The Dr and I sat in silence. We would occasionally look at each other.

"Ollie you-"

"I know Dr. I'm so sorry! I was never taught to read like everyone else. My mom was real busy with all of us. Please don't hate me." I stuttered out. Everyone at school and at home would tease me for not learning.

The Dr stood up without even glancing at me. He took my shoulder and stood me up. The Dr. enveloped me in a hug. "I couldn't hate you. It's not your fault. And please don't call me Dr, call me Mr. Clint."

He began to walk to the kitchen. I followed. We arrived to the kitchen and both sat down at the table. Mr. Clint tapped his fingers on the table. He would sometimes stand up, walk around, and sit back down. I could only watch with curious eyes.

At one point he sat down and store at me.

"Ollie. I want to adopt you."

Ok so hey! That took a really long time. So vote, comment, and share to others. Sorry for a long emotional ride.
Word count//1165