Five

Malia and I stood up against the wall, our breathing slow as we tried to keep quiet. I watched as she reached into her pocket, taking her phone and typing Stiles' name to contact once again.

I pulled a face, shaking my head at her, about to mine something until the sly tone of the desert wolf called up stairs "Who you calling Malia?"

I lifted my hand, holding onto Malia's wrist to not only stop her from texting, but stop her urge to move or even run down and begin a fight she knew we weren't ready to finish.

"Is it Stiles, your boyfriend?" there was a long quiet pause once her mother continued. "Tell him to come. Ring all your friends if you want"

Malia's thumb moved over his contact name as she swallowed "Go ahead Malia" Her mother continued to taunt her "You tell me how many people I'm going to have to kill tonight"

I shook my head, gripping harder to stop her and when her eyes met mine I mimed "Don't." And for a moment she waited until she held down the side button and then swiped to turn her phone off.

I let out a breath of relief, nodding at her to send her some sort of comfort as she smiled lightly and we both tilted our heads again to listen.

The desert wolf walked out from the walls only to be met by a bullet coming from Braedens direction. She flinched backwards "Almost Braeden, but not quite" Corrine breathed as she looked down at the bullet that her missed her. "You'll get another chance, but you better make sure it's a head shot"

I grabbed onto Malias hand, our feet slowly walked forward, trying to stay quiet but the stairs being normal stairs matched with Malia's poor choice of boots only made a louder noise than we wished.

"Coming down Malia?" Her voice called again causing me to roll my eyes as I looked at Malia's shoes, earning an offended shrug.

"You should've worn flats" I mouthed receiving a familiar glare from her as I shook my head once more.

"Malia, don't move" Braeden called up and the two of us leaned against the wall as I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at her to mouth again

"They don't know I'm here?"

Malia shook her head slowly with a shrug. She mouthed back, trying not to let her breath make a sound "I don't know. what about your scent?"

I paused as I looked around then down at myself confused "It must be masked or something. your mom isn't very familiar with me anymore."

"Malia come down" Corrine spoke softly, still trying to urge Malia down to fight.

"Don't listen to her!" you could hear the anger in Braeden's shouting, afraid of what Malia would choose to do.

Malia walked down one step and I pulled her eyebrows together, shrugging my arms in question at her as she took another step.

"I'm not gonna stop Malia...I'm taking back what you stole from me" her mother continued to threaten

She stopped in her path, blinked and her eyes began to water as she whispered "I didn't steal, anything" she swallowed, trying to hold back her emotions as she thought about the past.

"But you did, and I don't care if you're willing to participate or not" Corrine whispered back, and Malia shook her head as she continued to listen, "Talia Hale spent nine months trying to convince me the miracle of child birth, but you know what it really felt like? A parasite"

Malia continued to shake her head as she took her words in deeply, each one hitting her harder than you would imagine "Talia said it was a gift, a coyote passes down part of her power to her daughter" Malia stepped down another step while her mom was talking