1x12✔️

"Home
A place where I can go
To take this off my shoulders
Someone take me home"

- Home, Gun Kelly, X Ambassadors & Bebe Rexha

This chapter really goes off the rails so bare with me.

*****

"Oh...my gosh."

Two men stand right in front of Ash and Monty with hazmat suits covering their entire bodies. Their eyes are the only things Ash can completely see in the limited light, and it makes the whole thing 10x scarier.

Ash slowly begins backing up in fear, never taking her eyes off of the two men.

Once she's a safe enough distance away, she turns her back, makes eye contact with Monty and tries to portray with her eyes what she's about to do, and sprints as fast as she can without falling and slipping.

She hears footsteps behind her as well as panicked breaths and it pushes her to run even faster. Sweat beads on her forehead and her legs feel like jelly within only a few minutes, but the continues to sprint with everything left in her.

"They're...following...us." Monty barely manages to pant out between harsh breaths. "What do we do?

Ash tries to calm herself and let her brain work, but she's panicking and has no idea. "I don't know." This is why Ash can't be a leader, she can't just come up with a solution right off of the top of her head in the heat of the moment like Clarke or Bellamy.

It's then when she thinks of Bellamy that she realizes she's still holding a gun. And craning her head a little, she sees that Monty's still holding one as well.

It's probably a dumb plan, and Clarke could definitely do better, but it's all they have and they're running out of time to do it.

"Okay," Ash wheezes, taking a sharp turn and halting behind a tree. They have a few minutes before the men in hazmat suits catch up, and she's going to use it the best she can. "How good are you with a gun?"

Monty looks down at the gun in his hands and shrugs, "Not bad, I guess."

"Well let's hope you're good enough to use it to fight." She says, "Because that's all I can honestly come up with. Just try to shoot them and hope you hit. Don't look at them if you hear a groan, I don't think you want to see it." She tells him.

Truth be told, she's absolutely petrified for having to cause physical harm to people, but she knows it's necessary for their own survival. She just hopes that the lessons Smith has given her have taught her enough that she can hold her own and maybe even help Monty who looks like he's going to wet himself as the footsteps get closer and closer.

"You ready?" She asks in a hushed whisper, gripping her gun tightly.

"Nope." He answers honestly.

"Good, let's do this." And without any delay, Ash comes out from behind the tree and shoots blindly in the general area she heard footsteps. She hears a grunt and takes that as a good sign. She feels a small amount of guilt knowing she could have just ended a life, but Monty's pained cry pushes it down as she rushes over to go help him.