3. New Frenemies

Everything seems to go in slow motion when I board the train. All of a sudden the weight of me leaving finally hits me. One foot onto the train, I automatically shut down. All the noise from outside turns into a distant sound as my body keeps moving forwards without realization. The surrounding around me disappears, my eyes glaze over to a far off place left feeling as though I'm in a trance. This numbness is a pleasant thing to have right now instead of feeling the effect of this cruel world.

I don't look to see if anyone is here with me or take in what the train has to offer. I haven't even realized I stand by one of the windows watching as our transportation leaves District 12 behind. How long have I been standing here? When did I even completely get onto the train? I rest my forehead against the chilled glass wishing I could go back into a never-ending daze.

"What chu up to, Hay?" I peek to the side to see the other male tribute with blonde hair almost all the way shaved off and dark ocean blue eyes. I just want to be alone, but then again I have to be kind so I don't give anyone a reason to come after me in the arena. Turning around I lean against the wall with my arms crossed over my chest.

"Just looking at the scenery. What about you?" My tone is friendly, but gives off a hint of annoyance. The two girl tributes come over to us, making our group form a small circle. "Well, I was thinking that we could all get to know each other some. How about you start?" A mischievous smile appears on his face while mimicking my stance. I did not think that any kids in District 12 could be stuck up -since our District is looked down on so much- until now.

"Oh no, you should have the honor of going first." I tilt my chin up more in the air showing that I am waiting for him to speak. He throws his head back releasing a bellowed laugh that fills the room. "I guess that is true. Well, my name is Gage. I'm seventeen years-old-" Gage turns to every one of us slowly while continuing to talk, making sure we registered what he is saying "-and I make weapons for a living."

I ammnot going to acknowledge the last thing he said. He may have an advantage over me but I needed to act as if it doesn't bother me-which it really doesn't all that much-. The girl tribute's name I don't know speaks up before I could reply. "What's your last name?" She spoke shyly while trying to avoid looking at his face completely. "I'm guessing you weren't paying attention during reaping, honey. It's your turn now." She lets her hair hide the right side of her face that's towards Gage. Then turns part of her back to him. "I'm Afton, I recently turned fourteen years-old, and my family owns a small thrift store."

She isn't from the Seam;however, you can tell that one of her parents is. Afton's eyes look as if they could be mistaken as blue or gray. Her hair is a bright strawberry blonde making her light olive skin more noticeable. The only person who I had seen have their name drawn at reaping picks up after Afton.

"My name is Maysilee Donner, I am fifteen years-old, and my dad works in the Justice Building." I remembered back at reaping when two other kids where hugging her, then the girl that would not let go of her hand. I could tell she was a merchant's daughter too. Her hair was the same vibrant blonde as the others, with fair skin, and bright blue eyes that is closer to a Topaz color.

"Since your dad is one of the people who work for the mayor why are you in the reaping?" Afton's curiosity makesmher eyes sparkle in anticipation while she moves her hair out of her face not caring about Gage anymore. "No, only the mayor's family gets that luxury." She spoke lower. Her hands become clutched into fists. Gage's smile comes back with humor showing in his eyes. When he opens his mouth I quickly speak before he could cause any trouble.

"I'm Haymitch!" Everyone cocks their head towards me when I blurt this suddenly. I adjust my voice before I keep going with what I was saying. "My name is Haymitch Abernathy. I am sixteen years-old and-" Giving Gage a taste of his own medicine, I stare directly in his direction and grin. "-I work at a butchers shop. Rooba says I'm her best worker. Plus, Greasy Sae -you know the lady that's forty years old- loves buying the meat I prepare."

"No, I don't know who you are talking about. Nor do I honestly really care. Anyways, I think this is a nice little group we have here." Gage has his focus on Afton while he speaks causing her to hide away behind her hair again.

"Would you like to know some things about me too?" Our mentor slowly walks to us using his cane for support. Age has gotten to him badly. His legs buckle each time he takes a step. Many places on his head can be seen through his gray hair to his scalp, yet his wild piercing gray eyes show the spirit of a young person. "Knock yourself out." Maysilee doesn't make it sound like a joke as her hands rest on her hips.

"Since I will be helping you all I think its best you hear some things about me, but some I'm sure you already know. My name is Tate and I'm sixty-four years old. I won the second Hunger Games with me being a tribute at sixteen. This is my forty-eighth year being a mentor. Obliviously I am the only victor District 12 has ever had. I rarely talk on camera much anymore so many people nowadays don't really know all this about me. This is why I'm informing you."

I have never noticed that The Hunger Games haven't been around for that long. Even if you win, you will eventually be forgotten about in the capitol. Leaving you to a life of being forced to be a mentor in the shadows. He probably prays that a District 12 tribute will win so he won't have to continue doing another year of this -I know I would-. One question did stand out in my mind though. "District 12 has the least winners and people who "might" win, in history! How on earth could you win the second Hunger Games when you're against the top Districts?" It's hard to believe that in forty-eight years only one man can win for District 12. What makes him so special?

Tate flops down onto a chair holding his cane in between his legs, resting his hands on top. "Well boy, you have to realize that it was only the second year that The Hunger Games existed. The higher Districts didn't have time to prepare for the games their whole lives. Now when you are born once you reach a certain age they begin training. For the second games kids only had two years to prepare themselves."

The clapping of hands pulls my attention behind everyone. Fae is in a different outfit than she was in at the reaping. Now she wears a toned down, loose emerald green dress that reached to the knees. The sleeves can basically be considered sleeveless with them only reaching down her arms a couple inches. They poof out so much that the top of the sleeves reach her ear. Her shoes are an overly shiny, leather ankle boots that are an even brighter green than her dress. Some of the Capitol's styles can be quite nice I guess. Most on the other hand are tacky. Like everything Fae wears for instance. I hope I'm not going to be forced to dress like that. At least not to badly.

"It's time for dinner." She scurries off into the next cart not bothering to wait until we follow. Gage messages his temples with his finger as he squeezing his eyes shut. "Tate, I don't know how you have dealt with hearing that accent and high squeaky voice all the time.I would kill myself!"

"You'll have to get used to it if you win." Tate looks at all four of us shaking his head then exiting where Fae did.