6. A New Universe

I throw the sheets off me feeling excitement along with nervousness surging through my body at the same time. I can't make up my mind whether I want us to arrive at the capital today or wish for our train to break down. Being jittery from all these mix emotions, I struggle to get ready for breakfast. My fingers fumble over the shower buttons constantly not being able to pay attention to anything I'm doing. My mind is overloaded with thoughts about what they day will bring.

I should be ecstatic that the closer we get the faster all this will be over. The longer we take to get there the more time it gives me to panic about scores, training, and sponsors! Will I look like an idiot in my interview or at the Opening Ceremony? Will I get any sponsors? Twenty-four tributes this year, will it make it harder to win with more kids after me? Will it make it easier because if I stay hidden others will be found instead of me?

Bursting out of the shower to escape the steam I go to the dresser. Outfit after outfit I throw behind me with none pleasing enough. They are all the same; this one is too dressy, this one is too uptight. I keep throwing on random clothes then tug on them furiously to get them off. The frantic hollering at myself in my head stops as I try to lower my heart rate. A high pitch ring invades my ears from the dead silence that has been in the room the whole time. Right then I realize how bad I had been ranting to myself, screaming things in my thoughts.

I release my hands clutched to my shirt turning around astonished by all the clothes that cover the room. Shirts hide the polished marble floor surrounding the furniture, along with pants that are scattered a top the unmade bed. My whole wardrobe is practically thrown everywhere. I am truly abashed; this must be the start of insanity. Examining the clothes I now wear, I do everything I can to calm down and to not become flustered. None of them looked like capitol clothes at all! Not extremely dressy, strange, just casual. I guess the stress is really starting to get to me.

Leaving the clothes thrown all around the room for an Avox to clean up I make my way to the dining room.The only reason I know about these silenced people who have had their tongues cut off by the capitol most likely for committing a terrible crime is that working at the butchers I come across a lot of people. I have made friends with almost everyone in the Seam and countless people from different parts of District 12 who spend most of their time learning information about the Capitol.

To my surprise, I was the first one to get there. I take my seat at the table as two Avox finish up setting the dishes out. A wicked smile creeps onto my face when I think about how impressed Fae will be with me. As I put a napkin on my lap as the elders do while straightening my back as much as possible, the others enter uneasy.

"Gage I'm not in the mood right now to deal with you and your stupidity. I'm sure Afton agrees wi-" everyone's hands fly to their ears except me since I knew it was coming. Fae Squeals in delight not noticing that Maysilee was talking. "Haymitch, very good! If you are ahead of schedule, you're really on time! You would make a great mentor!"

Everyone takes their seats already devouring the freshly cooked food. "Well, he may be good at keeping a schedule, but I can show the tributes killing techniques if I'm mentor." When done, Gage begins to eat his food with a knife. Afton opposes while still speaking in a gentle tone, "Sometimes handy skills is better than things like combat. In the arena we may need to use more knowledge than physical strength."

Getting a hold of the arm of her chair Gage pulls, making the chair slide until both of theirs touch. As if nothing happened, he continues eating when talking with his mouth partly full, "When we get to the Capitol I'll have to show you some easy ways to kill people for your size. I would hate to see you go first when the games start; I think we will become good friends." Taking the last bite of food on his plate, he secretively smiles at her to where only Afton and I notice. Abandoning her seat, she goes to stare out of one of the few bantam windows.