10. Coaching

"Get up, up, up!" Fae knobs repeatedly on my door before leaving. Not acknowledging what she says I roll onto my other side hugging the pillow dreamily. "Get up,up,up!" I groan forcing my eyes open as I endure Fae knocking on the others doors getting them up. I waddle out of bed to take a shower turning the water on burning hot to create enough steam to where I can't see anything. I let the mist engulf me while my body aches. I would rather just go into the arena already just to end this circus. Thats exactly what it is too. I'm pranced around to do interviews and dress up for peoples entertainment. It's to the point where I don't care what happens anymore.

With the press of a button and the turn of a dial, water shoots out from all sides of the shower feeling like a rainy day back in District 12. Too bad it doesn't feel like the snow back home. Only if I could feel it one more time. Its harsh, covers everything, causes many deaths, but at this moment that's not what I think of. I remember the times when there would be almost blizzards so my mother would be home, my brother, and even Raven stayed at my house on many occasions enjoying our overabundance of firewood to make the fireplace blaze wildly. These are the times I wish for most now.

The steam just causes me to be drowsier but I force myself to step out of the shower. It was a useless attempt though. The time I get out to let the mat dry me off, I sit on top of it enjoying the heat and tingling electric shocks. After nearly falling back asleep, I eventually get up to retrieve a change of clothes from the mechanical closet. At least I'm not the only one being sluggish this morning. Afton, Gage, Maysilee, and I come out of our rooms at the same time dragging ourselves to the dining room. Tate and Fae are already fully awake not eating without us.

"We waited for you four." Fae says while eyeing Tate who's mouth is packed with food.

"What? Just be glad I waited until they came into the room."

Acting as if she didn't hear him she puts a piece of sliced pancake into her mouth. Pulling my chair in after sitting down I don't block out Gage as I eat.

"When I'm mentor Fae I'll wait for everyone and-"

"We'll see about that," Maysilee cuts him off shrugging her shoulders. Taking the remark literally Afton holds a stare with sad eyes.

"We wouldn't be here to see it." Speaking softly only Gage sitting next to her and I paying attention hears her, still I keep my head down to continue eating.

"It's okay," Gage whispers back with a relaxed smile.

After breakfast we are told the coaching schedule; first Gage will go with Tate and Afton with Fae. When their turn is up Maysilee and I will take their places. Giving everyone more time for coaching lunch will be held late. Afterward everyone will switch places from Fae to Tate or Tate to Fae depending on whom we had already.

Waiting for our turns Maysilee and I sit in the sitting room on opposite couches. Like being a little kid again, we secretly glance at one another. We have the option to go to our rooms yet we both stay in the awkwardness. My breathing starts to shake as I try to be quiet in the dead silent space.

"So...."

"You honestly want to make small talk that will go nowhere?" Her face is a blank expression as she waits patiently.

"I guess not." I turn away from her to face the empty cushions beside me. Within a minute she comes into my view sitting on the space next to me. So much for not wanting to make small talk. I'm not sure what to say really. I just know that I don't want to be a lone in my room, there will be plenty of being on my own in the arena. Even if we were to stay in the awkward silence, at least it's with someone else.